Author Topic: wanted RHS seat belt retractor  (Read 4176 times)

Offline trigger

• Two Barrel
  • Love American Muscle
  • Car: 82 corvette crossfire inj
wanted RHS seat belt retractor
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
Hi Guys and girls,

Stupidly ive broken my RHS seat belt retractor by opening the (Do not remove) cap :(
in my defence i did not see the do not remove until it was off but now i have 3mt or spring all over the place.
i managed to wind it neatly back up in a coil and place back in but wont seem to pull and retract now.
Im after just the retractor part not the belt or buckles.
if any of you guys have one lying around not used that would be great or know where i might find one.
Its an 82 model but im sure they were the same from prob 68 on.

Cheers Nick

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: wanted RHS seat belt retractor
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »
Seat belt retractor for an 82 is unique that it works upside down from roof down unlike other model vets that operate from under seat, rear wheel arch. Retractors are a non serviceable item as you have found out. US belts are non compliant for full rego.I believe I spoke to your wife regarding supplying compliant belts to suit your car & also addressing the issue of belt not being long enough for her to drive the car.

Offline trigger

• Two Barrel
  • Love American Muscle
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
Seat belt retractor for an 82 is unique that it works upside down from roof down unlike other model vets that operate from under seat, rear wheel arch. Retractors are a non serviceable item as you have found out. US belts are non compliant for full rego.I believe I spoke to your wife regarding supplying compliant belts to suit your car & also addressing the issue of belt not being long enough for her to drive the car.

Howdy,

Thanks for your reply, Yes you did speak with my wife in regards to the belts and thanks for your time and all the helpful info.
to save a few $$ This car will be going on club rego and to keep costs down instead of putting all new restraints in like we discussed we found a mob that can put compliant belts on with original hardware,
we are trying to save a little $$ getting her on road and unfortunately just cant afford all new hardware atm.

You said 82 is a unique year? does this mean the retractor will have to come off an 82 only then mate ??
would you have any lying around or know anyone that would ??

Secondly is it not possible to get the spring and original retrator working again?

Thanks again Nick

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
78-82 retractor will work. I am guessing you are talking about seatbelt solutions, who will rewebb a belt it is not usually viable for old belts & retractors and not cost effective. ADR's state that a belt has to lock every 300mm  or there about hence why US belts have to be changed as they rely on inertia only to lock.ADR belts have a centrifical  lock as well as an inertia locking mechanism

Offline trigger

• Two Barrel
  • Love American Muscle
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:02:31 PM »
78-82 retractor will work. I am guessing you are talking about seatbelt solutions, who will rewebb a belt it is not usually viable for old belts & retractors and not cost effective. ADR's state that a belt has to lock every 300mm  or there about hence why US belts have to be changed as they rely on inertia only to lock.ADR belts have a centrifical  lock as well as an inertia locking mechanism

Right ok,

will keep that in mind, didn't realize the retractor wasn't compliant thought just the belts were too thin
thanks again.