Author Topic: Z07 optioned car, that does not appear to have selective ride and handling?  (Read 5612 times)

Offline jklumpp

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
  • Car: Yellow 91 C4 Corvette
I have a 91 model coupe that I have owned for about 1.5 years now, and which is my first corvette....
Whilst preparing to replace the brake rotors on the weekend, I found that the replacements I purchased were a different size to the ones on the car.... a bit of google research, and checking the RPO codes I found I have the J55 brake package with 13" rotors!
That led me to doing a little more research on the RPO codes on my car, and I have found that it has the FE7 suspension, FX3 selective ride handling, Z07 Adjustable performance handling package...
From what I understand, the FX3 selective ride handling has the control dial in the centre console - but my car does not.
My shocks also do not appear to have any electronic components, which I would expect they should....?
My car was imported into Australia in 1999 and converted to right hand drive, but it seems odd to me that something like the selective ride handling would be removed?
Everything else appears to align - except that my car is now yellow instead of white, and has the bronze clear roof rather than the Blue tint shown on the RPO codes.... and yes, the VIN on the RPO codes does match the VIN on the car.
What am I missing?
What other things should I look for on the car to confirm the options?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
What other things should I look for on the car to confirm the options?

Obtain a copy of the build sheet?

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn/library-archives/build-sheets-window-stickers/
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline jklumpp

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
Wouldn't that just replicate the codes on the RPO sticker?

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Wouldn't that just replicate the codes on the RPO sticker?

Yes, if the RPO sticker you have is really the original one.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline jklumpp

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
I checked the VIN on the sticker against the VIN on the car, and all matches up, so I would assume it's correct?

I was thinking more about checking actual hardware on the car - obviously I don't have electronic dampers or the console switch, and I cant see the control unit which I believe should be in with the ABS - so it looks like the FX3 component has been completely removed.

As I understand it, the Z07 option included the FX3 selective ride (which I appear to not have), The J55 brake upgrade (which I do have), and KC4 Oil Cooler (which I have). Information I have read says the Z07 option combined the previous Z51 performance handling option with the FX3 selective ride, however my car has the FE7 High Performance suspension listed on the RPO codes - is that usual?
What does the FE7 suspension contain, and how do I tell if the it's still installed?

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Check the vin on one of the reputable US vin check companies and find out its history before it can to Australia
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
I have a 90. My book indicates FX3 was std for 90 onward, but I think this is a missprint.

Your correct the switch is located in between the seat switches on centre consol ("gtc" put up a good pic last week.).

There should be a module secured to the top of each Shock, basically a motor which drives a shaft installed thru the centre of the shock, when turned it changes the "effective" valving inside the shock from soft, medium to hard. This is set as required and does not change untill YOU change it. Not sure where control box is located. My081 posted last week that our friend Kiwi Col has this set up and sent his shocks away to the US, to be rebuilt, some $100s of dollars each. So maybe it was removed. Check around the car for stray connectors, easiest under the hood, or cut off and loose wiring etc.

It is possible the wiring was removed professionaly at conversion, more than likely just butchered and stuffed back into the loom tubing covers.
Maybe shocks were stuffed after 8yrs of service, and removal was cheapest option, especially if the converter was the importer. Time is Money.

But these C4's are really like driving a rocket sled, fantastic shape, no silly plastic headlights, mines as quiet as a mouse.

P.S Col my be coming to the Xmas luncheon c/w vette. Contact Club Sec.

Regards.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Some more info.

Sective Ride Control.
Selective Ride Control is the ultimate Corvette suspension option. The computerised system allows the driver to select one of three suspension settings (Touring, Sport or Performance) via a consol mounted switch. Within each of the three settings, ride firmness automatically increases as speed increases.
Selective Ride Control is available on Corvette Coupe with 6-speed manual transmission ONLY. And requires Z51 Performance Handling Package.

I took this out of the "1990 Corvette Sales Book" by Chevrolet

So now (today) we would call this "Active Ride Control", and is not as I previously stated, but indeed varies whilst driving.

So Mr JKLUMPP there would need to be a small micro processor (control box) most likely in the dash close to speedo electronics where it could derive the necessary inputs/outputs to determine speed. It could also be incorporated in the Instrument Electronics cluster as a unitized circuit on the main circuit board.

P.S - and I saw something to the effect that the 13 1/2 disks were a std ZR1 and an option for others.

Best of Luck.
🖕 Vettech.