Author Topic: Starter motor and Speedo cable  (Read 4537 times)

Offline mention1

• Four Barrel
Starter motor and Speedo cable
« on: August 08, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi guys,
My starter motor works well, except when the engine is hot. Then it doesn't spin at all and all the lights go dim. So I open the bonnet and after about 5 mins it works ok. Any ideas? Is it time for a new starter motor or relay? Is the relay attached to the starter, or is it in the engine bay somewhere?

Also my speedo is jumping about all over the place and my "guy" says the cable is full of oil and needs replacing. No problem but there are a lot to choose from. I think I need a "lower" cable which goes from the gearbox to the cruise control. Is there anything to be careful about or is it a straight forward replacement?

The car is: 1979 manual with cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Andy. :cheers:

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Starter motor and Speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
Hi Andy
I have a 79 that I am fitting an LS1 into I would have all the gear you need if your open to good used items.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Hallsy

• Four Barrel
  • I miss the old days.
  • Mood: Always happy.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
Hi Andy,
I had the same problem with my small block. As did Scotty across the road from me. Apparently it’s very common with sbc’s with extractors. The starter motor (and/or solenoid) overheats and when you go to start, there’s nothing. I bought a heat blanket and wrapped it but it still happened so I ended up buying one of those smaller, high power starter motors and putting the blanket on it. Scotty moved his solenoid out onto the body/chassis but it still did it one day we went for a cruise.
Hope I’ve shed some light on where the problem lies.
 :cheers:

P.S. Correction. I just pulled out a box of goodies and the heat blanket is in there. So my problem was solved with the new starter.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.😱

Offline mention1

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 12:09:35 PM »
Thanks very much guys. I'll see you at CMC on Sunday? Or I can PM you Bfit.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »
I had a similar problem and as unlikely as it sounds it was found to be the  bolt holding the engine loom plug was loose and when the engine was hot the contacts in the plug did not mate, but as the engine cooled the contacts connected and the starter motor worked. The nut in the fuse block which tightens the bolt for the engine bay loom had moved and I had to remove the fuse block and reposition the nut.  :banghead: