Technical Tips > Engines - Carbies - Exhausts - Dissys

MSD dizzy mech. advance timing

(1/5) > >>

Darylle:
Hi all
I have recently replaced my engine with a 383 from engine master and all is great except my new MSD dizzy has too much mechanical advance (around 40 deg total) and I have been told that I need to "modify" the flyweights to reduce their "throw" has any one had similar issues and what measures were taken to rectify?
Thanks in advance.

Lefty:
Darryle,
Not sure of the solution. But I've had an msd put in on my 350. It's great but my tachometer reading is high, how did you resolve that?
Best
Lefty

Vettech:
I kinda remember in the olden days you could get springs of different lengths or there were holes or posts that the springs could be changed around on, or was it different colour coded spring strength.

In the std GM HEI dizzy, which I just happen to have on my coffee table, these springs are up under the blue rotor cap, but its screwed down.

So, with a flat battery, I'll look tomorrow.

Darylle:
HI
Thank you for the replies, I do not have any issues with the tach and the reason I had to replace the stock unit was it had been "welded up"and the "mechanic" did not spot this until we replaced the engine GRRRR!
I do have another MSD dizzy for my torana (which gave me much grief untill I went back to the std. hei)  and if I can recall correctly you could interchange the springs but does that limit the total advance?

Vettech:
The springs delay the rate of change, at least one will have a large loop, meaning the advance moves a fair way before the loop beds on the post and its tension starts to take effect, the lobes............ look ill get a tool and pull this one apart, but first my cuppa...... back soon......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version