Author Topic: Putting the Vette back together - Random question time.  (Read 8964 times)

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Putting the Vette back together - Random question time.
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »
After way too long I'm slowly putting the vette back together.

Before I pulled it all apart I remember the speedo cable being a little too long.  Now that I have a TKO in place of the auto box, there is an extra half metre of adapter cable.  The original speedo cable is 2m long and I need something about 1.2m long.  A quick google hasn't turned up anything as yet, but does anyone have ideas as to what's available?

Next, I'm aware I'm missing a bunch of the aircon ducting, but I've noticed the demister ducting is way to short.  Am I missing a part or has the duct been cut back for who knows what reason.  If it's been cut, I'll just tape it up and make it work, but if I'm missing more bits I guess I'll have to chase more bits up.

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
Re: Putting the Vette back together - Random question time.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Hi Scott, there was a speedo repairer cable maker at  Glossop St. St Marys don't know his number but check him out

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 10:24:05 AM »
Is this RHD
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
Yes "Attspeed Auto Inst", at 1/35-37 Glossip St. St Mary's.

Ive used them for clock and other instruments.

Also they will make to measure cables, ive had the C3 cruise to box done. Some time ago though.

9833-0055

Regards.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:04:36 PM »
Car is still LHD, so all original as a 73 with an 81 front end and dash can be.  I imported is, so I'm the only person who's played with it in this country.

I'm on the Gold Coast, so a Sydney Speedo cable guy unfortunately isn't the easiest to deal with.  I didn't think of a custom cable. I'll look up if there are some local.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:08:59 PM »
For a auto gearbox there should be 2 speedo cables joined together, the upper cable is 40 " and the lower cable is 24", for a manual gearbox there is 1 only cable 72" in length. They may vary an inch or two in length depending on the supplier.

:cheers:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
Sorry Scott, but your on screen profile has no "location" and this being a NSW Corvettes sponsored site, most of us made the obvious assumption.

But we do welcome all genuine Corvette enthusiasts.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
That's very interesting Reserved, I have not looked at a C3 book for a while.

I assumed on at least late C3's (>78) that "K30" could be had as an option on Auto and Manual.

So yes a single long for manual, whilst two via the Cruise Controll (if fitted) for Auto.

🖕 Vettech.

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »
For a auto gearbox there should be 2 speedo cables joined together, the upper cable is 40 " and the lower cable is 24", for a manual gearbox there is 1 only cable 72" in length. They may vary an inch or two in length depending on the supplier.

:cheers:
this applies to replacement cables for years 1969 thru 1977 :nag:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 12:09:31 PM »
Fixed the location :)

My auto box only had a 1 piece speedo cable, which was 2.0 long.  With the 0.8m converter cable added on, it's really long.  Looks like HQ holden ones are different from chev, so it may be custom yet...

Anyone have any input on the demister vent?  Pretty sure it'll get duct taped.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »
My 78 and for that matter the 87, only had centre face and screen working,

Mostly due to the fact that the stuff was ripped out and trashed - esp in the 87.
I looked at what was missing (ie. Pics, US parts cats, 78 build book etc). Then did the rounds of the junk yards.

Once you have the missing bit in your minds eye, its not too hard to imagine a holden/ford/nissan or what ever part doing the job.
Plus some epoxy and glass mat, one bit is even a "coreflute" type material, cut and pasted, painted black. (Coreflute= house 4 sale sign).

The 87 has the right side face vent connected via a white corregated section of home A/C piping cover tube.
The joins just need either Clarke rubber foam or Bunnings foam draft excluder strips with the seft adhesive backing, which is basically whats in the cars from new. Just remember any tape you use, with a locked car in Aussie heat, means crappy sticky gunky crud. Never use the dreaded black electricians tape - an absolute no no.
Better use the Aluminium duct tape, it handles hot and cold better, and because it is hardish, it can be moulded to shape. Good luck with it.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »
I have a pattern here to make a duct to bridge that gap will have to find it but reasonably confident I know where it is. If I can find it will make you one , originally it was taped up with silver tape. Speedo cable you can get a replacement from Dellow auto in revesby NSW send him a pic of the end you need to go onto speedo.Corvette is different to other gm cars from same era Not sure what they fit but he has them for RHD 81   I got one straight off the shelf for MY-081's car to replace the 3 mile long one that was fitted to car.If you want a custom length run a piece of garden hose in car the way you want it to go then remove & measure