Technical Tips > Brakes, Suspensions, Steering, Wheels & Tyres

Bled new Wilwood brakes but still spongy pedal

(1/37) > >>

jimandemma:
Hi all, I have fitted new Wilwood 4 pot calipers, discs and braided lines to my 75 C3. I tried bleeding the system with a hand pump to no avail, just kept pumping through air bubbles. The master cylinder has not run dry and currently have passed around a liter and a half through the system. Tried again today using the pump the pedal and hold, crack the nipple and tighten. No air appears to be in the system now but the pedal is still spongy to the floor. Can't work it out, can someone offer some advice. I have done bleeding before on the car with no problems, this has me stumped.

Cheers, Jim

bfit:
tell me about it Jim
I spent to days last week doing the same thing .
and could not get a peddle .
 Are you starting at the  further  calliper first and working back to the closest

Did you bench  bleed the master cylinder

try opening the farther bleeder  and just let it gravity free for a few  hours, that's how I had to do it last time to  clear all the air.
then work towards the master cylinder.

if all else fails get a  set of quick bleeders

This time I what and bought a vacuum  bleeder, sorted it out in 20 minuets     

jimandemma:
Yes, started at furthest rear, inside and outside top nipples and worked my way forward to the caliper closest to the master cylinder. Have not bled the master because it hasn't run dry. Vacuum bleeder is not helping and draws air, where pedal pumping appears better with solid fluid when cracking the nipple. I have done this 3 times today in succession with still no pedal.

Shane Finn:
You haven't mentioned if you have new pads as well.

Either way, check that the pads are flat, true and properly seated. If they are even slightly cocked, the caliper will be able to distort the pad backing plate to conform to the disk but the extra pedal travel to do so will be long, soft and squishy.

This is a common racing problem I've had where the pads get tapered by use.

jimandemma:
Yes, pads are new and appear properly seated and true to the disc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version