Author Topic: Mobile mechanic  (Read 8166 times)

Offline jimbob

• Two Barrel
  • Great car, great club, great friends, great times
Mobile mechanic
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good mobile mechanic that is able to work on a C3 in the Sydney area? Car won’t fire and seems to have a fuel issue? Cheers

Offline toyvet

• Tri Powered
  • Club Plate Registrar
Re: Mobile mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
Call me 0423251121 Jorge ( historic plate registrar )

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »
if there is no fire at all just engine turning over, just a rough guess check the fusible link down by the starter. ( first  check for spark at the plug )
if there is no starter engagement at all there are a few possibilities.

post more info on just what happens when you turn the key.
is there a back fire
do you get fuel when you open the throttle out of the  Accelerator Pump
does the engine try to fire when you let the key go. 
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline jimbob

• Two Barrel
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
Hi Bfit, thanks for your help.

Problem occurred last Sunday. Driving on the highway for about 90ks at 90-100kmh. All was good until I slowed down into Berry and at a roundabout, car started to misfire. If I kept up the revs it would still go, but wanted to die at idle. Got the NRMA to look and he got it going, but thought it was fuel related. Drove back to Kiama with revs up but it died again when I tried going uphill (under load). Eventually had to stop and have it towed home. It now remains there until I can get someone to fix it.

However, it will crank over, but not start. Pump the accelerator and you can eventually smell fuel, but it won’t fire up. Engine shows no signs of fire when you let the key go. It feels like a block or dirty fuel, but that is just a wild guess.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 04:52:55 PM »
ok
Look for a vacuum leak in the manifold connections or the lines that go to the distributor, vacuum tank etc .

It may have a fitting towards the rear of the manifold behind the carburettor, LHD that sometimes has a fitting capped off. look to see if it is missing.

Are all your lights  working correctly if not check the vacuum  hoses to those for leaks.
It may sound a little odd BUT I would take the fuel  fill cap off, ( do you hear any sound when you  remove it )

but I do think you have a leak in your manifold/ vacuum system. that's  what the scenario you described tells me.
Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline toyvet

• Tri Powered
  • Club Plate Registrar
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:51:27 PM »
Hello jimbob I have a good mobile mechanic call me 0423251121 Jorge 🚗🚗🚗

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:50:24 PM »
Get a can of Aerostart, air cleaners off, get engine cranking over, spray down carby throat, if it fires and starts but stops as soon as you stop spraying, then you have fuel starvation. In Berry it started after we pumped it a few times.

Check supply, and as I said on Sunday, esp that little fuel filter in the carby where the fuel line enters. (Make sure you use two {2} spanners)

It may be vac, but since it ran ok since you took delivery in Qld,  I'd suspect fuel supply, fuel pump, fuel lines & filters, it may not have run much before you got it and there may be a wealth of water, dust and all manner of crap in the fuel from tank to carby.

Recently I made up a pump kit to pump the tank dry on my 87.
If need be I can visit, but you need some containers for extracted fuel.
I have the initial clear container where we inspect for any water.

Regards.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
Aerostart Good product to wreck a set of rings
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
A quick spray not a gallon, but better than hair spray, underarm spray, perfume, which all could be used at a pinch if caught in a bad situation.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »
I have used areostart when I need to , usually when I have cut my self and need Ether to clean  wound .
 BFit
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:41:42 PM »
I have seen similar symptoms caused by the fuel lift pump. Engine worked correctly when tank is full but not when tank is less than half full.

Winston Churchill

Offline stingray

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
Sounds like it could be dirt etc in jets, remove them and softly air blow (compressor) for a few seconds a couple of time then replace jets, while there may be small bits of anything in the jets they move around as the car is switched off and restarted.

Offline jimbob

• Two Barrel
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. 

I was able to get a mechanic to have a look last night.  Apparently it is not fuel related at all.  There is fuel at the carby, but there is no spark at the distributor.  My guy is going to return later today with some more equipment to see the problem with the non power lies.

I’ll keep you all posted. Sounds very interesting???

Cheers
Jimbob  :banghead: :grr:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
That does sound interesting, keep us informed of the outcome, since I was certain it was fuel and or water in the fuel!?!....
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »
Ignition module in HEI distributor for sure my 79 drove fine on Freeway for 40k then just died no warning my 78 drove it into garage after a run next morning wouldnt start. I have a couple of spare new ones in the box.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 11:43:17 AM »
Ummm, yeah could be, I must say my 78 used to stop dead half way to W'pk (work)(yes I drove it to work - it was bought to enjoy).

I'd be on Cowpasture Rd, ripping out the HEI,  and dropping the old original (kettering) dissy back in.
But it would cough splutter, give enough warming to pull off the road. After that, no firing, no nuttin.

That night put HEI back in - everything worked fine, go to work next day, same all over again.

I changed every thing, I could possibly change in the HEI dissy - cap, coil, leads, module, wiring -  never fixed it.

It now sits c/w leads on my coffee table as a reminder that there are things I cant fix.

Im pretty sure it was heat/time related - as it would stop to within a few feet of the same place on Cowpasture Rd every time..

So keep us informed, any info is most welcomen.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »
Ummm, yeah could be, I must say my 78 used to stop dead half way to W'pk (work)(yes I drove it to work - it was bought to enjoy).

I'd be on Cowpasture Rd, ripping out the HEI,  and dropping the old original (kettering) dissy back in.
But it would cough splutter, give enough warming to pull off the road. After that, no firing, no nuttin.

That night put HEI back in - everything worked fine, go to work next day, same all over again.

I changed every thing, I could possibly change in the HEI dissy - cap, coil, leads, module, wiring -  never fixed it.

It now sits c/w leads on my coffee table as a reminder that there are things I cant fix.

Im pretty sure it was heat/time related - as it would stop to within a few feet of the same place on Cowpasture Rd every time..

So keep us informed, any info is most welcomen.

get 4 of those distributers turn them up side down  remove leads and mount to a slab of timber and call it a coffee table look in the lounge room.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »
Now now Bfit, just because Misfit wont allow you to put your Dizzy on the coffee table.

YOU need to ask yourself "WHO's the BOSS here!?"
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »
Another intermittent problem I had with 78 the power wire from ignition to distributor went open circuit at the firewall plug connection was an easy fix to parallel the wire pain to catch failed

Offline jimbob

• Two Barrel
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
 :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

C3 fixed yesterday. It was a burnt out coil in the distributor. Was told that it was a gradual thing until one day, it will decide to pack it in.  All is fine now. Test driven last night and all is working fine.

I was convinced in Berry that I had water in the fuel or it was a fuel filter or pump. NRMA service guy thought so too. 

My mechanic spotted the problem almost immediately, took out the dizzy, had it repaired and back in the car without any fuss. I think he will be my Vett boy from now on. He certainly knows his stuff.

:drag: :drag: :drag: