Author Topic: ENGINE REMOVAL  (Read 6524 times)

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
ENGINE REMOVAL
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:06:00 PM »
Does anyone have an engine lifting bracket that bolts onto the inlet manifold, that I could borrow. I know they are only $50, but I would prefer to spend the $50 on parts as this is probably the one and only time in my life that I will remove an engine. An engine stand would also be helpful but not essential. If anyone can help, thanks.  :cheers:

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
Re: ENGINE REMOVAL
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:32:54 AM »
You are  better with an adjustable lifting bar so that you can tilt engine & gearbox as it comes out where are you located?

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
I am located in the Penrith area. I will be at the Nelson Bay weekend and at the next club meeting. As the car is automatic the gearbox will not be removed.
 :hi:

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
i would think hard about getting the trans serviced while you have the engine out, unless you have info,to,say it’s been recently done.
It’s a pain to but the engine back in and find you have a leak.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:33:03 PM »
....and while it's out clean some bits, change the drive shaft uni's, etc, etc ..................and before you know it ............. it becomes a 3 month project!   :lol:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
There is some truth in that last bit.
I had a oil leak at the torque/conv  four year on still not finished .
I started an ls1 swap
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 04:54:41 PM »
I had the gearbox reconditioned about 6years ago, but I have never been able to get the motor running smoothly, so I am biting the bullet and pulling the motor to inspect the guts of it. I am hoping to find some small problem such as a worn cam or dickey cam followers. I just want to get the bloody thing n the road.
 :tears:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
It is easy to strip the engine in the frame,
The sump and front can be removed in frame.
If you find something minor it can be repaired.
Just a thought
Winston Churchill

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 12:23:57 AM »
I need to take the engine out so as I can get someone with expertise to inspect each and every part. Unless there is a crack or a score mark I would be lost, I would not know a worn cam lobe or a stuffed hydraulic lifter if I fell over them. I am still having arguments with myself over the positioning of the oil pump strainer. Oil pressure is a problem  but there may be other problems.
 :banghead:

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:19 AM »
If the block is ok I'd get it hot tanked and cleaned up (will need new cam bearings).  My engine temps dropped remarkably when I did mine.   :shades:

Oh......and make sure they use some thread sealant on the oil gallery screws at the back of the block.  Mine ended up with a tiny, tiny leak which you can't fix with it in the car.  :grr: