Technical Tips > Radiators - Cooling

454 Running Temp

<< < (2/3) > >>

Vettech:
Yes GM started to get with airdams from 77 onward, on the 78 it improved cooling and "the ground effect" by big numbers.

But is the timing standard.

69CVET:
Hey Guys,

Normally sitting at 210-215 ...( after 20 mins of driving ) but do notice swings from 190 to 230 whilst driving in traffic etc..
As stated not boiling over but definitely hotter compared to the small blocks that i have had...

Air Dam ? - Lower Spoiler the same ?

bfit:
Check the gauge  for accuracy.
Do you have A/C

Vettech:
The trouble with gauges and temp switches, is they will only read temp of the water if there is water. Low water, blockage or air lock leaves air and the gauge or light thinks all is ok, then for some readon it gets a surge of water and gauge will respond.

My SBC runs normal temps but when I push 120kph on a hot day (no A/c) constantly, the temp rises 20~30°. Slow down under 100kph temp comes straight down to normal, I think the nanny state has done something to my car.!................

Scott:
80's transams are the same if the same. If they don't have the lower air dam in place, highway speeds cause overheating because the air isn't getting through the radiator properly.

Unfortunately, speed bumps aren't the best friend of lower air dams.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version