Author Topic: DISTRIBUTOR SELECTION  (Read 9408 times)

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
DISTRIBUTOR SELECTION
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
Looking at the cost of HEI distributors with a tach drive which range from a cheap one at $90 to a MSD billet at $700.I would prefer to pay $200 to $300 for  a reasonable one, I have no idea about the quality and features of distributers, I am open to suggestions.
Looking at Ebay there is a model S392 at $195 and a model WWH6515 for $265.
Corvette Central have a model 272136 for US$300 which is a bit more than I would like to pay, but if it was a good one I would pay it.
Summit have a model SUM-850001-T for US$289  which is a bit more than I would like to pay, but if it was a good one I would pay it.
Currently I am running an MSD 6AL Ignition Control Unit with a standard early C3 distributer with a electronic module fitted. One or both of these units is causing problems, hence the change.

:what:

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: DISTRIBUTOR SELECTION
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
SB or BB
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
CDI ignition goes back to 1896 or 7, very unreliable, things developed and it was put on the 1906 FORD model K i think. Electronic forms -albeit valve types were developed by Robert Boscht for Fighters in WW2 germany, again unreliable. A group of White Sands missile scientist developed "Solid State" electronic type for rocket ignition, there was also a Canadian RCAF pilot who developed a cct. Later this was developed by a consortium of all these people which became "MSD". Their products have been developed since the 50's, quiet often specified for US racing. What I'm trying to say is they have years in it, they seem to be reliable and cover a multitude of engine configurations. Cheap knock offs are exactly that. But everthing can fail. At least with MSD you get a known product and you know where to find them. The others will be located in Zhexci province China or Botswanna or..............
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
CDI ignition goes back to 1896 or 7, very unreliable, things developed and it was put on the 1906 FORD model K i think. Electronic forms -albeit valve types were developed by Robert Boscht for Fighters in WW2 germany, again unreliable. A group of White Sands missile scientist developed "Solid State" electronic type for rocket ignition, there was also a Canadian RCAF pilot who developed a cct. Later this was developed by a consortium of all these people which became "MSD". Their products have been developed since the 50's, quiet often specified for US racing. What I'm trying to say is they have years in it, they seem to be reliable and cover a multitude of engine configurations. Cheap knock offs are exactly that. But everthing can fail. At least with MSD you get a known product and you know where to find them. The others will be located in Zhexci province China or Botswanna or..............
And some ar based in Kickatinalong  NSW
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:27 PM »
Its a big block, but all of the distributors I have looked at state BB or SB. I am not worried about the MSD CDI as I will not be using it with the HEI distributor.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
Being a BB I would be looking at an MSD distributed  to work with the 6AL
They do a unit with tachometer drive  that can be set up with 12 deg adavance .
 It will give you a good degree of confidence in the car
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline reserved

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »
$700 for a distributor and $400 for a 6AL totals $1100, which is a big spend for me.   :thumbdown:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »
$700 for a distributor and $400 for a 6AL totals $1100, which is a big spend for me.   :thumbdown:
I thought I read you were already using a 6AL controller
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
Is it the "MSD Digital 6AL" if so I thought the ummmm "grey wire" is the tacho output.
There is a pdf file that gives details of using 6al with ford, gm etc many diff types of engine/maker
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »
I think that's right  the grey wire from the controller is the pulse  wire .

It's most likely  possible  to use a HEI distributor, if you re wire it with a stand alone coil
And use the mag pickup to trigger the controller.
Winston Churchill

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:07 PM »
Hey 'Reserved', I hope you got this sorted. I had a similar situation recently and had no idea if my issue was this, that, or the other in my electrical system. After days of racking my brain over many weeks inbetween, a fellow club member (thanks Vince) helped me out.  There is great comfort in having a fellow rev head, look bewildered and say, "I don't get it... It should start".  Back to basics (again, and again), and narrowed down to an inconsistent positioning of my Distributor shaft (springs/clogged/other??).  I've imported the MSD from Summit cheaper than I could get it from Rocket.  It's a bit more mucking around, but hopefully worth while with regards to reliability.
Just though that I'd share to thank a fellow member and point out that (although I'm a rocket fan) there are alternative source options to the MSD 700 tach drive unit from Rocket.

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »
Hi all
I am currently looking for a replacement distributor for my '78, can anyone offer some advice on make/model please?
I want the one with the in built coil preferably.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 08:21:54 PM »
My mechanic (specializes in American muscle cars) swears by MSD ignitions.

This is his daily driver: http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/stories/EventGallery/2017/170527sydneytcs/LukeGriffiths_SST_999_270517_02.JPG

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Matt G

• Four Barrel
  • Car: 1970 Coupe 350 manual.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:17 PM »
I agree.  Loads of alternative options, but MSD is safe and secure to perform well.
https://www.msdperformance.com/products/distributors/chevrolet/

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
Thank you for your help people, MSD 8362 it is.