Author Topic: Hood Gas Struts.  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Hood Gas Struts.
« on: May 09, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »
Ive just bought  set of new gas strutts, the rear windows fitted great - now you press the button and it opens like magic.

But the Hood ones, are turned 90° and have funny chrome metal clip arangments at each end.

I removed the clips as the end fits over the pivot pin, then washer, then tiny "R" clip.
Same on the other end except it's 90° off, so a bullnose pliers was used to turn it, but allas the end twisted straight off - bad spot weld - maybe!?.
Took second one out of bag, this time re-alligned the ends by holding body and shaft, putting no pressure on welded ends, now aligned ok.
Fitted to hood as before, with washer  and "R" clip .
I complained to the supplier, I thought maybe he sent me 88 or later, I'm sure 84 to 87 are the same, but since my headlights are 88, maybe the strutts are to.
My headlights are original as per fitted late 87, and include exact factory wiring and 88 electronics as opposed to the 84-87 relays etc
The supplier was good enough to send another set of hood strutts, but they are the same!?..

So without waiting for a club run, then pestering someone to look inside their car, can a C4 88 or later owner please advise on the type of gas hood strutts
their car is fitted with - your reply would be very muh appreciated.  Uncle Doug.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Kenobe

• Four Barrel
  • Mood: Depends on the wind !!
  • Car: C4 1985
Re: Hood Gas Struts.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:58:23 AM »
Hi Doug, I will have a look at my 85 tonight when I get home from work.

cheers
Living the young boys dream............finally driving a Vette

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:07:19 AM »
My 87 has a pin rivetted into hinge /bracket assembly the gas strut has an eye with about a 10 mm hole in it

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:33 PM »
But both ends of the gas strutt are parrallel to each other, ie one end is not turned 90° to the other  - correct!?!?

And one more question - is your early or late 87?.

Mine is late ie has 88 headlight motor configuration cct etc and late style plug/pins in the Sport Seats.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Yes Vettech both ends are parallel to each other, I just fitted 2 new ones as well couple of weeks ago, I had no issues fitting mine .BTW I got mine off ebay.
Mine came with some clips I just removed them and slipped these on as per original ones.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:17:06 PM »
Mine the 2 eyes are parallel