Author Topic: So the fun begins.  (Read 5455 times)

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
So the fun begins.
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
So my grandmother died recently and left me some money. Although my fight continues with the insurance compny to get paid for my wrecked Vette i thought rather than try and rebuild mine i would just go and buy another one.
On friday i looked at two cars.
The first was a 72 Maserati Indy for 120 grand. The guy selling told me it was a one owner car with faded paint. Apart from that it was great.
What he didnt tell me that his Uncle Louis  painted it 20 years ago with a vacuum cleaner after he bogged it all up. The bog was breaking out in places and it was over  a 1/4 of an inch thick.
He also must have used it to round up sheep as the whole floor was bashed up everywhere. The timing chain noise in the engine completed the picture.

Car 2 was a 66 Vette coupe 454 ,67 stinger bonnet and Ralley wheels. 89 grand.
From 50 feet away it looked pretty smart. Up close it had a jam job with all the rubbers etc in place.
The heater box had been removed and a glass plate covered the area.
None of the gauges worked and the car shuddered like mad when you tried to drive it.
Underneath was a series of left off bolts and cable ties.
The spare wheel cover and wheel were missing.
The interior was originally black which he didnt like so he bought red trim for it and painted the dash red with a pressure pack.
The icing on the cake was the ID tag was gone.
I rang another 66 today. 100 grand.Guy said he bought it off the original owner who hadn't driven it for 18 years.  He has had it for 8 but never got it running.
Said it was for sale as is and no he wont start it or let me try and get it going.
If i wanted it going the price would be 120.
Man i wheel and deal in cars all the time. I have a mint ute for sale right now for three grand that is better than these sh#t heaps.
WTF is going on?
Man im not feeling too good about getting another car right now.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: So the fun begins.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Unfortunately people watch these doppy US car shows, with inflated (US$) prices, and think they can demand the same here. Or they spend money  rebuilding or glossing up cars and think a buyer is prepared to pay for their folley. There is a Red 87 Calloway for $60K, it's been for sale for years I think, someone who wants that type of car may buy, I certainly would not fork out 60 large for any C4. And I suppose whilst ever he does not need the cash, he will leave it up for sale and wait.
People also think they can buy an old bomb, tidy it up and make a killing, those same US shows, are the cause of that inane thinking.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 04:18:47 PM »
A few years back we had a club member searching Oz for a C2. He was at it for a long time. Good ones were few and far between, and the asking prices were sky high, too

Then our secretary pointed out to him a very good one in the USA.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
Yep i think im off to america soon.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
I ztill cant believe a guy advertises a car for a 100 grand and says if i want it running i have to pay an extra 20. The attitude was amazing.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
Allot of cars for sale = allot of shyte  :thumbdown: :tears: good cars are few and hard to find as owners rarely want to part with their pride and joy's  :grin2:

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 07:02:25 PM »
Im sure the best cars get traded without even being advertised.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
I ztill cant believe a guy advertises a car for a 100 grand and says if i want it running i have to pay an extra 20. The attitude was amazing.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »
Yep i think im off to america soon.

You might get a few leads from NCRS here before you go.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »
Ive been speakimg to Murray . I painted a 63 bonnet for him last week. We spoke a bit about my options.
Im still open to repairing my car. At least i know what I have and it will be done properly.
Im rebuilding my 67 impala ss atm. I really dont want two projects going at once.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
It's unfortunate that Richard Stones isn't still with us.