Author Topic: Front end vibration  (Read 8054 times)

Offline 72C3

• Two Barrel
Front end vibration
« on: February 19, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
Guys,
I am having a vibration issue in my car.  It is an intermittent problem but it is driving me crazy because the car just feels wrong to drive.  Yesterday took the car out to get fuel, no issues and felt good.  Took it for a drive today and I am getting a vibration through the floor and steering wheel which feels like a uni or bearing vibration.  If I am driving along a straight road or in a right hand corner the vibration is always evident.  Once I turn into a left hand corner or bend, it disappears completely.  Getting to the stage that I don't want to drive the thing.  Might only be a minor issue but it annoys the crap out of me.  Your thoughts.

Stu

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
Re: Front end vibration
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »
Have a good look at your engine mounts, you will need to lift the engine a bit to see if they are separated.
Do each side seperatly on your checking.

Rosco

Offline 80vette

• I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Take it to Pedders Suspension, $39 they check the whole suspension. Then fix yourself what they find.
My AC once caused vibration as the clutch had worn out, but that was only when it was on..

Engine mount is also a good place to start. Check wheel nuts, tyre pressure etc

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
The first thing I would do is have a good look at your front tyres. how old are your tyres if more that 6 years replace them.
Is the problem worse on a cold day.

Problem going away when turning, points a  wheel bearing. Jack up the front and see how much play you have in the front wheel bearings.
check your top control arms make sure the retainers are not loose.

also check the rear wheel bearings , if this is a c3 don't confuse the play in the diff with a wheel end bearing problem.
bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »
Uni joints in half shaft siezed will give you a nice noise & vibration