Author Topic: Melted accelerator cable outer  (Read 12602 times)

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
Melted accelerator cable outer
« on: December 13, 2016, 10:34:55 PM »
Hi everyone
It appears things may have got a little hot in the engine bay today as the throttle cable casing has melted and destroyed the cable. It's location is far from ideal as it runs directly above the exhaust manifold.
I am not happy with the excessive heat in the bay including resultant damage/deterioration of the L82 hood decal.
Has anyone experienced this or knows of a possible remedy?
Thanks in advance Darylle

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Melted accelerator cable outer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:04:21 PM »
Are we talking c3 here, lhd or RHD, what year.
L82 was available late 72 up
Is this auto or manual, what fan system are you running.
What temp does your cooling system run at.
Bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:53 PM »
Yes we need a little more info, from 77, GM trialed an air dam or fairing under the nose, they increased the size in 78 and onwards because it gave greater ground effect and improved cooling due to increased air flow.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
Hi
It's a '78 RHD, auto with std. clutch fan and in yesterdays heat and some traffic the temp read 200f (centre of guage)

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »
with std. clutch fan

Is the factory-installed fan shroud still in place?
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
 02 4933 3960
carters clutch and brake
 119 Melbourne St
 East Maitland NSW 2323.....I had the same problem not long ago,but my cable was to long and it was to close to the header pipe,just take it out and take it to a clutch and brake service centre like the one up here in maitland,when replaceing your new one try to keep it away from things that may melt the cable,but in saying that the new cables that can be made today have very high heat resistant outers,evan braided metal lines can be made and that will solve the problem,but in saying all that your engine bay should not be reaching these temps,to fix that I would suggest fan shroud,hood rubber,fan plus thermos,s,wishbone rubber mats,frnt spoiler,headlight covers that sit behind the grill and the chassis to sill plates should be there,all this is desighned for the air to flow efficiently,allso check your thermostat and the radiator,is it a sealed unit or does it have an overflow?hope this helps

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
Yes very good advice, and I had forgotten about the hood seal, most important and often missing. Also if the engine is std, radiator ok, seals & rubbers ok, then it should run normal temps, if timing is out it could run hot, also even the smallest manofold leaks allow  super hot gas to cause heating and hot spots. And if today is an indication of weather to come, best get on top of it. Oh! And dont let people tell you all C3's are hot in the cab, it's not the norm, and is more than likely due to holes left unfilled in the fire wall (if converted) my 78 HAD 32 holes, no underfelt or ally heat shield. Even a 1/8th hole lets in a "thermal lance" of blazing hot air once the car moves forward. Merry Xmas.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:03:16 PM »
Yes very good advice, and I had forgotten about the hood seal, most important and often missing. Also if the engine is std, radiator ok, seals & rubbers ok, then it should run normal temps, if timing is out it could run hot, also even the smallest manofold leaks allow  super hot gas to cause heating and hot spots. And if today is an indication of weather to come, best get on top of it. Oh! And dont let people tell you all C3's are hot in the cab, it's not the norm, and is more than likely due to holes left unfilled in the fire wall (if converted) my 78 HAD 32 holes, no underfelt or ally heat shield. Even a 1/8th hole lets in a "thermal lance" of blazing hot air once the car moves forward. Merry Xmas.

some truth in that said above.
my C3,has good reasons to run hot , but it doesn't. on the hottest days  and long runs inside the cab is reasonable.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 12:10:21 PM »
Since you are in the Gong, this may be of no help, but, "Attspeed Auto Instruments" in St Mary's do speedo's made to measure a call on 9833-0055 may help you get an accellerator cable.  But I'm sure the Gong would have a shop.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
Oh! - I just reread, " clutch fan" - um!!!. I once saw a mechnic test a clutch fan, sheet of cardboard in front of radiator, system at temp, stop engine, grabs fan with rag by the hand, start engine, ( yes has fan in hand, engine running) pull out cardboard, then releases the fan and watch/listen for fan to change revs - I think that was the sequence. I cant fully remember, I was busy covering my face gainst possible blood and finger bits, but he quickly proved fan clutch was rs, replaced, and it was like a magic fix. Was on an EB Falcon six. So it could also be fan clutch. If it looks oily, the special oil may have leaked out, they dont contain very much.
They are cheap enough and easy to fit,
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies
The hood "seal" mentioned is the rubber tube at the rear of the bonnet I am presuming and yes it's all there including the front air dam thing.
The engine temps are not excessive (guage does not go past 1/2) The engine does have a cam ?? and given I am a new owner I do not know what other work has been completed.I am thinking of making some heat shields from that alloy stuff that looks like fish scales.
Thanks again for the replies. 

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 11:25:32 PM »
Should be seals all around the between the radiator and support, and on top of the radiator support to seal against the bonnet.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 12:01:32 PM »
Just to add a little more 5 cents worth, I used to work on stationary deisel sets, and one of the best tools I had was a Laser Digital Thermometre. They are quiet cheap now at Jaycars, Supercheap etc recently my 87 was running like a dog, a quick temp check on the manifold close to the head showed 2 & 8 running cold compared to the others, pulled injectors (all) and found 2&8 stuck and pouring like a tap. Just some food for thought. I'd imagine by now you have your holidays booked for corvette work only.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »
Would having the headers ceramic coated help keep the temps down?

s

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
VB commodore v8 cable is ideal for RHD  C3 vet. perhaps look at where cable comes thru firewall. Ideal spot is to keep it as far to right on firewall as possible under guard.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 09:07:49 AM »
Would having the headers ceramic coated help keep the temps down?

s
Yes to some degree , ceramic coated inside and out gives the best result ,every little improvement helps.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
Yeh, ceramic coated headers/extractors definitely help reduce engine bay temp.

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
Hi all
I've made up some heat shields that appear to work great and I will post a photo when I work out how.
Thanks Steveslr for the heads up on the commy cable. 

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
Thanks StephenSLR for the heads up on the commy cable.

That was Sirfixalot, he knows his Corvettes.

:thumb:

s

Offline Darylle

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »
Sorry fixalot credit to you.
The existing cable does a big "S" through the firewall and around the engine, can these be readily converted to pull from the front giving a "C" route like a holden v8?
On another note would anyone have an approximate degrees C for the exhaust manifolds?