Author Topic: C4 Halo/Roll bar, body packing.  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
C4 Halo/Roll bar, body packing.
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »
I was out driving the other day when I noticed that the air/road noise was excessive. I currently have the plastic trim etc off the halo and I noticed that around the seat belt holes and in between layers there is the remains of a filler - looks very much like a foam or sponge rubber that has gone like bissuit, one touch and it crumbles like chalk. Does anyone know if there is a correct material to be used as I would like to get the trim back to normal. Thanks.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
Re: C4 Halo/Roll bar, body packing.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
I would try any sound /body insulation , similar to carpet heat / sound  insulation- Dynamat or what ever it's called.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:10:20 PM »
Thanks white 88. Ive been away, and ive also talked to Bfit at PortM last weekend, he seems to think he knows a product to use, I have the commercial household void filler, but I'm not willing to use it as it will be nigh near impossible to remove once sprayed in. So "Bfit" what is it !!!!!!!!!??????? Hello hello bfit ru dare.....
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »
Thanks white 88. Ive been away, and ive also talked to Bfit at PortM last weekend, he seems to think he knows a product to use, I have the commercial household void filler, but I'm not willing to use it as it will be nigh near impossible to remove once sprayed in. So "Bfit" what is it !!!!!!!!!??????? Hello hello bfit ru dare.....
Working on it
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »
And I too have been - cleared out the passenger side "B" piller, only appears to be a narrow section, but was definitely some form of hard filling, bonding material that has hardened to pumice like consistency, now crumbles out. But appears it bonds the f/glass outer to the steel inner section of the roll/halo. Sirfixalot in your travels when replacing C4 belts, have you noticed if the hole behind and under the retractor is filled or blocked - I just dragged a heap of bits and pieces of a very dense foam out of the passenger side, this stuff is definitely not GM.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »
its a Bosch produce , looking for a part number
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »
Been surfing the net - plenty of adhesives from LORD AND 3M 8115 or 8116 but are two pak and more glue than bulk filler. Ummm...
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
The product I'm thinking of is normally used in expansion joint in block and panel construction .
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 08:03:58 AM »

Hey guys, your probably thinking of Sikaflex... ??? Try www.ovesco.com.au. They have them all with information on uses..   I think the one you need is the Sikaflex - 255Extra

Check it out.. good luck
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »
Thanks Bfit, your pic and that of 69vette of the sikiflex 255 are the type but I dont think either are for large voids 8 ~10mm, but I did see whilst aimlessly gooooogling a product which comes in a sausage, not sure how you apply it, but sets for high tensile, fills voids, it was glass or metal reinforced, I just have to re-find it again. I cleaned up the sticky mess and got up close to see the rear window glass side - it also has filler that appears to be solid and in good nick. Strange the front and rear of the rollbar are bonded fglass body to steel, but the centre section of the steel is not, it has holes and forms pressed/punched in it, to give strength etc, in fact the few wires up there could run thru the voids except they are razor sharpe, its amazing how much blood can seep out of a few fingers.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
After much ado and a visit to Peps we settled on Sikaflex 221black. Cleaned & washed, then applied. Gunned in, it filled the voids and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. Now after two days curing it has set, little or no runs or sags, but still feels rubbery, a bit like a fresh brand new Michelin tyre, firm but still has a rubbery softness. But it really stuck to both surfaces. It was capable of troweling, but since it would not be seen I left it alla-natural. Only time will tell now if this was the correct decision.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
The Sikaflex 221 appears to have hardened up nice, and I applied Sikaflex Boom, a type of expanding foam void filler for the remains of that section from the centre of the roll bar down the passenger B pillar to just above the hole for the seat belt mech. I had this hole blocked, since this stuff is triple expanding, we had to block every opening, this now fills the area to stop noise and draft. The whole area now has a nice solid feel to it. The seatbelt hole and the hollow below it have been sealed off with a dense wad of foam, this stuff should seal out road/tyre noise coming up from the wheel arch area but allow some breathing and hopfully drying in case water gets in, and has the advantage that it is removable - just in case. Whilst at it, I've refitted the passenger belt, now hangs right, no twists etc. Now for the divers side.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »
Good to hear this is resolved
I always put a canister of damp rid in the footwell of my cars to minimise moisture and duck up some remainder of wet weather driving.
Sometimes the local $2 shop has some variant shapes that fit well in the door holders etc.
It's also worth thinking about?
Cheers
Lefty
79 vette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »
Both sides now done, belts re-configured, drivers seat in, all halo trim installed, I even cleaned and fed the plastic, fixed up the carpet around where the belt dissappears into the "B" pillar, now I just need to throw the passenger seat in tomorrow, then again I dont need it, "B"  had a call from Orange today - the little girl on their reception rang to say she was looking at a brand spanking  new White Convertable but it was still wrapped in plastic. Bad luck I cant go up this weekend as I'm at the Show & Shine Rouse Hill brewery - maybe next Tuesday.
🖕 Vettech.