Author Topic: Right to Left Conversion #2  (Read 46507 times)

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: Right to Left Conversion #2
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »
if you are interested ,
I have a 70 model fixed steering column   that was overhauled  and fitted to my 70 when I bought it.
replaced it with a tilt.
I have a stock steering box  drag link, idler, pitman arm , as well if of any use to you
 Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2017, 08:40:17 PM »
Thanks for the offer Bfit. Is the pitman arm off a non powersteer car? I already have a pitman arm and idler arm. But a non steer pitman arm would work better with the Borgasen steering box. I managed to build a steering column from the 2 tubes that i had.
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
The pitman arm came with a lot I bought , I’ll see what it is tomorrow and let u know .
Your well into the column , I see .
I was checking out a hq holden column this week , I think the bottom half would work with a vette column
The hq has a collapsible section that is a better design than the vette
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »

Rub, rub, grind this is painfull.
Next time i'll pay the sandblaster. Quicker, faster, cheaper; in the end, ends up a better job.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »
Check the vacuum tank for splits in the bottom of swages have seen 2 like it. I can test it for you if needed with vacuum pump. Or immerse in water with compressed air inside

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
Thank you for the offer Sirfixalot!...after its painted ill submerge it in the tank with some low air pressure and see if it bubbles. I must say I didnt even think about that but I suspect it is ok. The welds all look clean and good and the fact that it didn't seem to leak before pulling the car apart makes me feel confident its ok😎.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
Be careful the canister is designed for  vacuum , it would be best to test at 15 to 20 in/mq  and hold that for half an hour with no looses.
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
I would be checking before painting also may be pinholed with rust inside is only bright sheet steel. After testing squirt a bit of clean oil inside & sloosh around to coat inside

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
Ummm oil is good, but fish oil or something that coats and sticks evenly would be a bit better, Lanolin oil !?, Chain lub is probably too sticky ichy to evenly coat.

Definitely check before paint, paint can cover a multitude of sins. (for a while)

And Bfit is right (oh bite my tongue) about putting pressure in - only a few psi, tub of water and wash up detergent.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
Ill let you guys know how I go with it. I was going to block all but one outlet and blow some compressed air at very low pressure and spray some soapy water around the weld and outlets😎

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
The bottom of swages where the metal is stretched is where the splits appear

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
 Put spring in on front suspension tonight :omg: That was fun with no motor in the car :banghead: Ill do the otherside tomorrow night :grr:

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »
The second spring literally just fell in. Set myself up to have a monumental fight and in 20minutes it was in😎. Go figure. Im sure the car knows and just plays with me😂

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
have a look at the spring that was difficult make sure it is  seating in the top housing correctly.
there is a guide  in the top that the spring can get hung-up on .
aftermarket  spring are usually shorter that the originals,  they can be just put up and lift the bottom control arm up and bolt to the spindle. No jack needed.
 original length spring are a completely different story.
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »
have a look at the spring that was difficult make sure it is  seating in the top housing correctly.
there is a guide  in the top that the spring can get hung-up on .
aftermarket  spring are usually shorter that the originals,  they can be just put up and lift the bottom control arm up and bolt to the spindle. No jack needed.
 original length spring are a completely different story.
bfit
I did that on the first spring and made sure it was in its place properly.
The problem was I was using some high tensile threaded rod with some quarter inch plate and it was bending the spring as it was compressing.
Too scabby to spring the $120 or so for a proper spring compressor :grin:
I have put these back in but might have to pull them back out after it is back on the ground with the motor in it. I've taken a little bit of weight off the front and want to see if it will sit higher or not. I might put in some lowered/stiffer springs if it's to high.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
ok I get it
you have original length stile springs, the aftermarket one`s I see are about 4'' shorter than the originals free length.
dead easy to install.

Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
[imghttp:///img]
[url[/url]
Got a little bit busy today and got the whole front suspension and steering bolted back up :pepper: Did ok, only lost one washer  :banana:

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
When you fit AC components use lots of windscreen sealant & hot wire fan so you can check for leaks as you go. Make sure you seal up the vertical cavity where water pipes enter to AC duct. Is the cause why vet AC isn't very efficient. Make   a seal between inner & outer pieces. Make sure the cold air & engine hot air don't mix. Check Check Check as you go

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
When you fit AC components use lots of windscreen sealant & hot wire fan so you can check for leaks as you go. Make sure you seal up the vertical cavity where water pipes enter to AC duct. Is the cause why vet AC isn't very efficient. Make   a seal between inner & outer pieces. Make sure the cold air & engine hot air don't mix. Check Check Check as you go

Yep! I'll keep that in mind. I've heard from others that that is the biggest issue with hot air getting into a C3 corvette. I have a whole set of new seals for the Air/Heater system.  I also have a C4 blower fan which I may consider mounting into the housing with a spacer. Apparently due to the shape of the fan, pushes a greater volume of air through the system.

While I'm at it does anybody have a radiator overflow tank that mounts on the o/side inner guard that they may want to sell or give away to a worthy cause :grin:

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:33 PM »
I made a spacer from a couple of nylon  cutting boards from supermarket I think a 10mm & a 6mm  cut it out with a jigsaw