Author Topic: Right to Left Conversion #2  (Read 47068 times)

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
Right to Left Conversion #2
« on: July 21, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »
Most of the major parts have now arrived  :thud: Some i'm still waiting for!! So the other day[/img] I decided to pull the motor so I can get a start on it.
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: Right to Left Conversion #2
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
Threw me a bit - Right to left - I could see the brake on the LH side, then I realized the S'wheel and steeering shaft is on the RH side, very unusual. But haveing said that there have been a lot of differing conversions over the decades. Best of luck with that.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:13:39 PM »
 :grin:The conversion is done with a cross shaft under the dash that operates the clutch and brakes....leaves the engine bay reasonably untouched except for the heater box were the steering shaft comes through it.
For what it's worth it all works quite well and the car drives fine; I just thought it was a better car than that. I brought the car in from the States in 1993 and back then I had to convert it to drive it around.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
It should all be reasonably straight forward .  It's just time consuming .
If you don't have a LH steering box, I have a couple of  boxes out of various models
However I do like the Borgerson power steering box.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
It should all be reasonably straight forward .  It's just time consuming .
If you don't have a LH steering box, I have a couple of  boxes out of various models
However I do like the Borgerson power steering box.
Bfit

I have been collecting parts for the last three months. I have to say it has been the most frustrating experience I have had. I still am waiting for a shipment of bits from a so called reputable supplier in the States :lol:. Put the order in on the 31st of May, was supposed to to be here in 10 days....i'm still waiting for it. Some of the bits I need are in that shipment and because I didn't want to have bits of car all over the garage for a couple of months I have refrained from pulling it apart.

Bfit : I did go with the Borgasen box. I figured that it was more stock looking than a rack and doesn't hang low like a rack. Also some of the top Autocross Corvettes in the States use them so I figured if it was good enough for them, who am I to argue.

Just out of curiosity do you have a non power steer Pitman arm? Not that it is an issue. I have a non power drag link and a power steer Pitman and it will all fit. Just figured if I could find a non power Pitman that it would be optimum

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:32:31 PM »
I have been collecting parts for the last three months. I have to say it has been the most frustrating experience I have had. I still am waiting for a shipment of bits from a so called reputable supplier in the States :lol:. Put the order in on the 31st of May, was supposed to to be here in 10 days....i'm still waiting for it. Some of the bits I need are in that shipment and because I didn't want to have bits of car all over the garage for a couple of months I have refrained from pulling it apart.

Bfit : I did go with the Borgasen box. I figured that it was more stock looking than a rack and doesn't hang low like a rack. Also some of the top Autocross Corvettes in the States use them so I figured if it was good enough for them, who am I to argue.

Just out of curiosity do you have a non power steer Pitman arm? Not that it is an issue. I have a non power drag link and a power steer Pitman and it will all fit. Just figured if I could find a non power Pitman that it would be optimum

I just may have one Ill check that Saturday.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »
No luck on the pitman arm I only have the power steer units
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
A mate of mine is converting a 67 427 roadster back to Left hand drive. It came here new..
Ive got a 67 ss impala 396 coupe.
It was converted to rhd by bill buckle when it was new. The conversion is terrible (steering box sunken into the chassis).
A few weeks ago I picked up a rhd chassis and im going to fix it once and for all.
Surprisingly the original conversion is hanging in there.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
No luck on the pitman arm I only have the power steer units
Bfit

Thanks for checking Bfit. It's not really an issue, the power steer one I have will do the job no problem but if there was a non steer one around I just figure that it would be optiimum for the conversion.

A mate of mine is converting a 67 427 roadster back to Left hand drive. It came here new..
Ive got a 67 ss impala 396 coupe.
It was converted to rhd by bill buckle when it was new. The conversion is terrible (steering box sunken into the chassis).
A few weeks ago I picked up a rhd chassis and im going to fix it once and for all.
Surprisingly the original conversion is hanging in there.
I think these cars of ours are just not meant to be converted to RHD as they were never engineered to be as such. I know there are cars out there that have been converted well; with a high level of engineering and workmanship and to the uninitiated they look right and feel right but if you know what to look for they still are a compromise.
My car has been right hand drive since 1995 and like I have said elsewhere it's driving dynamics were fine and dandy and I drive different modern cars every day but after driving one with a modern LHD steering box (Borgasen) I was amazed at the way it drove and felt. Just the extra space in the left hand side was a godsend.
Some larger cars are bit different as they can be converted successfully due to their extra space and the fact some of their architecture is shared with our right hand drive cars. E.g Mustang/Falcon.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:34:20 PM »
My 67 ss 396 ss coupe came here new and was converted by Bill Buckle. Although it has held up for fifty years the conversion is terrible.
They cut the chassis and boxed the steering box into it.
Three weeks ago I picked up a factory RHD chassis. Hoepfully I can sort it out that way.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »
My 67 ss 396 ss coupe came here new and was converted by Bill Buckle. Although it has held up for fifty years the conversion is terrible.
They cut the chassis and boxed the steering box into it.
I'm hearing you bootlegger, mines the same; works ok but just not right.
I spoke to someone a while ago that told me that the best way to do it was to section the chassis and bolt the box in that way. That will create extra room and clearance on the o/side of the engine bay with a Cressida steering box and that's how he does them. Well, I just couldn't bring myself to cut my car up like that and being a beater and owning tow trucks in the past, it just didn't feel right.
I'm lucky that the car hasn't been butchered like that and all I need to do is basically replace everything back int it's original spot and maybe Mig up some holes.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
I have digressed! 
I have run into a small problem :grr:
After removing the engine I decided to remove the heads to see how things are in there. Car wasn't running right the last few outings and I was going to freshen the engine up anyway!
This is scary :tears:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
My 78 was originally a bar (brake) and extra drag link, was terrible, two different locks and one side the drag link was hitting "SOMETHING". Had it re-done, brakes moved and Toyota Cressida box, whilst a vast improvement, still not the expected "SPORTS CAR" feel or response. One of our members over Clovelly way has perfected and installed power rack and pinion on his C3. With improving health I intend to explore this avenue, I know there are US kits available, at a cost,  but money does not grow on trees. I now see your engine pics, would be interesting to here why 1 and 5 are that colour?
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
Well the prognosis is in :sigh:

The results of the autopsy 1. One wiped cam lobe.  :tears:
                                          2. One cracked forged piston.  :tears: :tears:
                                          3. Worn valve guides.  :tears: :tears: :tears:
                                          4. One cracked  steel crankshaft.  :tears: :tears: :tears: :tears:

I guess this right to left conversion is going to take a lot longer than I thought.  :omg:

Need to submit a proposal to the joint Minister for the Interior & Treasurer....not sure how that's going to go down.  :fingerx:

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:45 AM »
Damn.

Best option is grab a cheap runner engine to stuff in and finish the conversion.

Then fix your engine properly once the car is running again.  Down time with the car off the road is the biggest motivation killer ever.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
It's not unusual to find these types of issues .
Gives you the option to upgrade the engine performance.
I have a running engine if it's of any interest.
Or there is the LS1  swap ! You might need a plebiscite to go there .
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:19 PM »
I suppose it depends how original, you want it to be, but a rebuild should allow the engine to run unleaded, higher compression, maybe slight cam, rollers etc, for a smoother more powerfull donk without guzling the gas. I know Ray will recommend a crate engine, his is a great changover, but I'm not sure what else has to be done with mating to box, or mounts or or or or or .... But one thing for sure, as my old school song used to say " Now is the time......."
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 09:54:33 PM »
290 hp crate motor bolts straight  in everything fits about $3K weekend change over. 320hp crate motor replace inlet manifold, fly wheel , and engine cooling & fuel  has to be re - plumbed also have to install & wire electric fuel pump ends up about $5k in parts about a weeks work

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
Had to do a fair bit of lobbying  :bow: :bow: :bow: but have come up with the goods  :evilone:

290 hp crate motor bolts straight  in everything fits about $3K weekend change over. 320hp crate motor replace inlet manifold, fly wheel , and engine cooling & fuel  has to be re - plumbed also have to install & wire electric fuel pump ends up about $5k in parts about a weeks work
I thought about this one but this has cast pistons and if I'm not mistaken a cast crank also. (I blew up one with forged internals, how long do you think this is going to last) :nono: I just figured I would put no less than what it already had in it.
I also looked at Blueprint Engines from Eagle Auto Parts and again if I want something substantial (forged internals) it was going to cost. I get a bit funny when they don't mention what brand name internals they use. I did a bit of a google search and there were a few unhappy people that had purchased there engines in the States. Admittedly they all said that the company had addressed their issues but I wasn't prepared to have those kind of dramas with a third person (Eagle Auto Spares) thrown into the mix.

I decided to rebuild the old block and turn it into a 383. I already have a fair bit of stuff that I had slowly amassed which was going to go into the old motor anyway so all I'm doing is basically going to do a new short motor.  Should go ok when finished. :drag:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
Sounds logical to me .
Spend the time and do it your self, it may go wrong at some stage , however you know exactly what is in the build and you have control.
First of all choose real quality conrods and Conrod bolts. Exhaust & inlet valves , valve springs & retainers. Valve  seat pressure must be correct to get the best result.
Piston, there are many good options .
Getting the rotating assembly  balanced correctly will be the problem.

Now But  there is always a but ,
If it's machanical it will fail, it's just a matter of time .

My opinion is
The journey is far more enlightening when you do it your self.
Bfit

Ps you always spend a lot more when you do it your self.
Winston Churchill