Author Topic: Speedo's and Odometres.  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Speedo's and Odometres.
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »
 From experience I know that the Odometre in C3's can be tampered with, and it's easy to see, remove instrument panel and check the plastic pins holding the odometre. But how do you check a C5 ?. They have metric speedo and the odometre is also in kilometres. More over when a car is LH < RH Drive converted, what do the converters do? Is a new metric instrument panel installed and the Odometre somehow set up with the equivalent original miles in Kms? OR is it installed with "zero" k's on it and the person buying is duped into thinking the car is near new, when in reality it could have 100,000k's on it. I wonder if any of our learned enthusiasts out there could shed some light on this. I'm interested in a C5 and I've noticed some dubious claims made by sellers, who may or may not know the real mileage of the car they are selling.
Any input would be appreciated.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Re: Speedo's and Odometres.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
With most cars, the best advice is to buy on condition, not k's. 100,000k on the highway is much different to 100,000k of short trips tot he shops or work.

Does the wear on the interior match what you would expect for a car with that many k's?

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Re: Speedo's and Odometres.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »
With most cars, the best advice is to buy on condition, not k's. 100,000k on the highway is much different to 100,000k of short trips tot he shops or work.

Does the wear on the interior match what you would expect for a car with that many k's?

^ Exactly.

Some cars have been restored with the instrument cluster from other cars, especially in the case of replicas of a model with more features in the cluster; the whole cluster is replaced along with odometer, so never judge a car on the odometer reading.

s