Author Topic: To Starter Motor or Starter Motor.  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
To Starter Motor or Starter Motor.
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:24:34 AM »
C4 87 has crook starter motor, wont start when hot, caused by worn bush in SM nose. This can be resolved in several ways,
1. Install new Delco SM.
2. Install a new reduction gear drive type SM.
3. Find an Auto electrician who can install a new $1 bush.
4. Put old SM back and put up with it.
Ok.
Does anyone know a Auto Elect who can do it, but more importantly who has a bush.
The gear reduction is probably the way to go, SO, there are a ship load of starters on ebay, but can anyone who has done this indicate a brand and/or a part number that will suit an 87 350 SBC C/w auto ?????.
My past personal experience with auto eectricians has not been good, and I have issues of trusting them, maybe you can recommend one in Sydney, who you trust. Thanks.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
Re: To Starter Motor or Starter Motor.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
I bought a cheap DSM reduction starter off ebay.  It has started my car about 10 times thus far.  One of the guys that did the aussie drag week has one in his car and it's lasted well so far starting a hi comp chev.

Cost $125.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
That sounds like the way to go ,an auto elec will hit you up more than $125 in labour !

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
an auto elc will want to overhaul the unit  for fear of warranty problems.
a new unit will give you piece of mind.
Buy a good one, its not worth the problems if you buy a cheap unit that may let you down at a very inconvenient time.

tow trucks are expensive.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
Im pretty sure the reduction gear high torque is the way to go. Now DSM,  there is a heap on ebay, plus other brands, now some adds say fits Chevy 327,350,454 any flywheel, but then some say 153 or 168 tooths, or is it 9 or eight tooths, or is it a so called offset or flat ???.  Your DSM - I dont suppose it had a part # or the supplier name. One supplier is out of Parra with obvious chinese English, whilst the other is out of Sydney with good english. Its just that I'm one of those people who likes to drop the old part on the desk and say "please match this". That way I buy it once.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »
Forget eBay. Check out Rocket Industries. They stand by their products. (Talk to Alan Dean.)

I have had an MSD high torque starter on my 454 with solid lifters for many years. No problem.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 08:45:37 AM »
The DSM one I got has two sets of holes for the two different flywheel sizes.  It would not suit a block with the offset bolt holes only, but I don't think that is many blocks.  My 400 has 3 holes for both offset and straight bolts.  It also comes with the bolts and a shim kit.  The only thing I had to choose was if I wanted it red or black (looks like they have chrome now as well).  It's obviously a copy of a different brand, as the instructions are photocopied with the original brand name blacked out.  I emailed them about fitment and got answers pretty quickly.

If your starter is out, have a look and see how many bolt holes you have.  If there are 3, most available stuff will fit. 

Note that if you go for a stock replacement, automatic cars have a starter with a larger aluminium snout.  Manual cars have a smaller cast iron snout.  I have a good auto starter sitting in my shed...

http://stores.ebay.com.au/GT01GT/Starter-Motors-/_i.html?_fsub=20689441&_sid=408915505&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Thanks for the pic, last Tues I finally bit the bullet and went over to "Rocket Ind" who are closer than I thought, they were helpfull and I got a  CVR High Performance - Protorque Starter. Very small, light, 3hp, 4.44:1 reduction. Its sitting on my breakfast bench, looks great, but untill I can walk, thats where it will sit. Probably paid a premium at Rocket, but helpfull, got the right thing first time, they warrant, etc etc. The joys of red wine and rich food will now need to be endured, after which I will attempt to fit it.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 08:08:11 PM »
Today I fitted it. Didnt fit, had to cut a little more off the 45' chamfer that allows clerance of the oil pan. Could not figure out or achieve the ring gear clearances, so fitted all supplied shims (4). At this stage I thought get it fitted and started and then I can go down and see Mr Jensen, he will sort it out. Was at the stage where I had had enough. But then Murphy struck. Did the final  power lead to +bat........ and kapow dead short, try again...... kapow dead short, crawl back under, the + lead is bent down onto the frame, fixed and no more short. All wires/cables fitted, hop in, turn the key...... #$/^ing NOTHING, dead as a door nail, now it appears the on board security has locked me out, time for a shower, it will take 15mins to reset.
20 mins go by.
 Ahhhh all fresh now, hop in and Holly Hell does that little sucker spin or what, but remember Murphy!. No bloody fuel, starts like a bought one, but will not run, oh well I wanted to recheck the tank for water, now is a good time, plus its too late now to go visiting. I'll have to check my busy schedule and visit Mr Jensen tomorrow.
🖕 Vettech.