Technical Tips > Pre 84

General help with my 72 Corvette Stingray

(1/7) > >>

Speedvette:
Hi all,

I bought my first Corvette Stingray about 1 week ago. All original matching numbers 72 Corvette Stingray which is a pleasure to drive.

I have a few little things I want to fix but need some advice on these issues. It seems like the heater is always on around my feet. I have noticed the vent box above my feet drivers side which is beside the steering column has a hole in it, the hole being about the size of a 10 cent piece, looks like it's meant to be there. Has had some tape over it at some stage. Is this hole supposed to be there? If it is I guess I just may have to plug it somehow.

Also there is a tap handle on the heater line in the engine bay. As I understand it, its supposed to have some sort of electric valve but instead has the manual valve. I checked it tonight and it was in the closed position, so I dont think this is the reason for the hot air coming out of the vent.

Lastly I have a PCV valve that has 2 outlets on the top of it. I need to get a new one as sometimes this one get a little noisy. Where could I get one like this?

Cheers

metalhead:
Welcome! I'm no expert, but I'm sure if I get something wrong I'll be corrected! Firstly, these cars are known for bad heat soak into the footwells. If it didn't have aircon then the heater core did not originally have any way of turning it off to my knowledge, so the tap is a useful addition. Check for unplugged holes in the firewall (dark garage and someone shining a torch from the engine bay is a good way to start). I believe there are some holes that were originally for carpet plugs that are often open. I have my heater core bypassed at the moment (leaking) and it still feels like the heater is cranked in the footwell, so this is on my list too!

Not sure about the pcv or the hole in the vent you're referring to, sorry, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help out.

Great looking car!

sirfixalot:
Is hole on R/hand side of column above the accelerator pedal? Car being LHD the heater box is on R/hand side of car.The main reason for hot air coming into cabin is holes in firewall.Park the car in a dark garage & put a bright light in engine bay then look in car under dash for light bleeding thru.Don't know why the PCV would be making a noise

Scott:
As said, lots of heat comes through the holes in the firewall.  The tap on the heater line will be an add-on by someone trying to cool the interior down.  On mine, the water runs through the heater core all the time and the flaps in the heater box keep the heat out, in theory.  In realty most the seals in the heater are had it and let in lots of heat.  Half way down the page there are some pics of my heater box.  It's an air-con one so may be a little different.

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,6964.72.html

Speedvette:
Thanks guys. I'll check for any firewall leaks and fill those in as best I can. The car has recently had a new heater core installed also but as I said the valve was in the closed position.

The hole in the heater box is to the right of the column ( LHD Car), I'll try and get a pic up for you guys. It definitely feels like most of the heat is coming from this hole. Not sure whether I should just seal it over with a decent tape or drill 2 small holes and screw a bit of flat plastic over it for a permanent fix. The plastic will probably look like a more meant to be there fix.

As for the PCV I'll just see if I can get something similar from the local auto parts shop.

I'll add more little issues as time goes on.

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version