Author Topic: 1973 Coupe Project  (Read 7380 times)

Offline 73RAT

• I'm new here, but not to my 'vette
1973 Coupe Project
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
Hi, I haven't introduced myself or 73Rat.  She was a sad case when I bought her as a project back in March 2006 - I wasn't looking for a 'vette but stumbled across this 350/T400 Elkhart green / Medium Saddle coupe that had been sprayed Blue Green at some stage and the front clip had been replaced (really badly) with a '75/’76 clip.  The interior had been sprayed black but the car was complete.  In comparison with a period Holden it had a big block, 4 wheel discs, a/c, p/s, independent rear, all wrapped in fibreglass - a good start for a period targa car.  I didn't want to spend money on a shiny car with hidden issues so a low cost purchase and a ‘doeruppera’ suited me fine.

I thought it would be a pretty quick clean-up and a good excuse to get back into the shed after years of not playing with cars, as the end game was targa not show & shine. 

How things change....

Working fly in fly out and some lifestyle changes effect priorities and targa was out and an extensive restoration was the new game, but with a twist.  I loved the Baldwin Motion story & the muscle car look, the standard Elkhart Green car did not seem to be popular.  Off with the old clip and many hours to repair, fit an frp nose, the body came off the chassis and a full nut & bolt resto has been undertaken.  New brakes, suspension, vacuum systems, new axles / bearings / unis.  Although I scooped the bonnet, filled the rear beaver panel, fitted bonnet pins and used the ’68 style stripes to reflect the Motion style, I agonised over guard flaring as that is not so easy to reverse.  I don’t want to run 10” rear wheels so standard suits me.  The colour is Mulsanne Blue or Medium Bright Blue which was run over multiple years including ’73 so I’m not too guilty about ditching the Elkhart Green.  The stripes are GMH Ermine white from the HQ.  I decided on leaving it left hook as the costs to do it ‘properly’ by changing the firewall and engine positioning (even with the clip off and engine out) seemed crazy and not needed for rego.

Only the interior remains old (accept for carpets and RCU) and I just re-dyed the vinyl until I can justify the high spend here.  It is not registered yet (10 years on!) as I have a few bits to do before engineering. So it is now just for cruising and enjoying, no targa!  She is a much happier car now...

Specs – mild 402 oval port with a 650SB Holley, Performer 2.0 manifold, extractors & factory style side pipes, T400 with aprox. 2250 stall convertor, 3.08 positrac.  Heavy Duty springs dropped about 1.5” in the front and a big fat sway bar.  Std rear steel leaf and the lowering bolts & shocks yet to be purchased.  Twin thermos & shroud from an EF falcon fitted to the reco 454 radiator, no mech fan.
Anyway, nice to meet you and catch up some time when I am finally on the road!
It was supposed to be 12 months and a tight budget.....just a few simple repairs and a coat of paint.....

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
Re: 1973 Coupe Project
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
Nice!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
Well well well! Look at that Bfit, this blue coupe has lots of fancy sounding stuff & bibs and bobs, maybe it will give your "Yella Terra" a run for your money at the next "lead foot" or other track day, since there seems to be no "Red Car" that can keep up with you. Two one thousanths my a......
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »
its a familiar  story. as long as you get to drive it, its all good .
look forward to meeting you club run, track day .etc
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 73RAT

• I'm new here, but not to my 'vette
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »
HAHAHA - Its a long way off from tearing around the track.... a few spec changes would be required!  It hasn't traveled more than 200m under its own power yet, but probably done a few km up and down the drive.  Tnx for the replys and looking forward to sharing (or creating) some good stories with like minded people soon!  In the mean time I am happy to share info from my build.
It was supposed to be 12 months and a tight budget.....just a few simple repairs and a coat of paint.....

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
mate the C3  is a fun car on the road, highway or track.
the rumble of the BB is  joy to the ears.
bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
73 rat,
Colour and stripes look great.
Catch you on the road,
Lefty
79 vette

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 06:17:32 PM »
Nice paint and stripes.
My 73 is also having it's '10 years off the road' celebrations...

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 09:27:56 PM »
Welcome aboard brother, Vette looks real nice  :thumb: