Author Topic: Right to Left Conversion  (Read 18307 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
Re: Right to Left Conversion
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 12:19:39 AM »
There may be many others, but the only converted car that I'm aware of that went back to the USA is this one ... and it is still RHD:

There was this famous one a few years back.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/01/09/australian-right-hand-drive-1963-z06-corvette-heading-back-home/

I've heard from importers on other forums that it's happening but only small scale at the moment; obviously it's the more sought after cars.

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 03:01:57 PM »
its odd
they will not let you import a modified  car but you can buy one in and cut it up to make it RHD.
funny world we live in.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »
As for the quality of the work. I've seen some so called quality resprays that have come from over there. Scary stuff

If those reality TV shows are to be believed they bondo them up and lay on the paint immediately after. In a few years all those restos will be seething with humidity bubbles.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
If those reality TV shows are to be believed they bondo them up and lay on the paint immediately after. In a few years all those restos will be seething with humidity bubbles.

s

agree
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
I reckon they should do a "Where Are They Now" episode and show some of these cars in their current state...that would be an eye opener. Most of these cars would have bog, paint and rust falling out of them everywhere. :taunt: :yap:
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
I reckon they should do a "Where Are They Now" episode and show some of these cars in their current state...that would be an eye opener. Most of these cars would have bog, paint and rust falling out of them everywhere. :taunt: :yap:

Overhaulin' did.  Many cars ended up being sold as the owners couldn't afford to insure their cars due to the increase in value, or realised the money is better used paying off their house.  Most cars still looked fine.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

Got a reply on Friday to my enquiry. I was surprised with speed of the response. :pepper:

Anyway the general feeling is that the RMS has no problem with the conversion due to the vehicle never being built as a RHD car, as long as all is right and the relevant procedures are followed.
The problem is depending how the Import Approval is worded,(IF IT SAYS MUST BE CONVERTED), this may create a bit of an issue. So into the archive boxes at home to go through 22 years of crap and paperwork so I can see how it is worded. Baring that I have to contact the Dept of Infrastructure etc etc, to get a copy of the approval.

Not out of the woods yet!!!! :grr:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
The problem is depending how the Import Approval is worded,(IF IT SAYS MUST BE CONVERTED)

Would this even be on the approval?  I would assume it's a requirement for registration once the car is imported; these days imported cars could be used in racing, etc. and not for street use.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »
Got a reply on Friday to my enquiry. I was surprised with speed of the response. :pepper:

Anyway the general feeling is that the RMS has no problem with the conversion due to the vehicle never being built as a RHD car, as long as all is right and the relevant procedures are followed.
The problem is depending how the Import Approval is worded,(IF IT SAYS MUST BE CONVERTED), this may create a bit of an issue. So into the archive boxes at home to go through 22 years of crap and paperwork so I can see how it is worded. Baring that I have to contact the Dept of Infrastructure etc etc, to get a copy of the approval.

Not out of the woods yet!!!! :grr:

I`m interested to know what you come up with .
I would have thought at that time you would just get approval to import. the fact of the RHD conversion would have been a product of each state  registration process .
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:30 PM »
What you guys are saying is possibly correct but you have to not forget that these are Government depts and can make your life a misery if you don't follow the bouncing ball.
It was the suggestion of the Tech officer from the RMS to check the wording first. I for one did not even think about it until he mentioned it.

Better to be safe than sorry. Don't want to turn up with a converted car to be told "Sorry no can do" due their bureaucracy!

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »
Better to be safe than sorry. Don't want to turn up with a converted car to be told "Sorry no can do" due their bureaucracy!

Absolutely; I don't think anyone is saying not to.

s

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »
these are Government depts and can make your life a misery if you don't follow the bouncing ball.

You bet. I was talking to a very angry C4 owner a couple of years back at a Club event. Owing to a REVS paperwork balls-up by the converter he is not able to get that car registered in NSW until the 30 year old vehicle rule applies. Long story short, the VIN is currently "black-banned" by RMS. The converter has since gone bush.
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »
There is a good number of C4`s wrecked for sale ?
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Lefty

• Lefty
  • Four Barrel
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
They make good go carts

Lefty

79 vette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
Bob. Where did you see those wrecked C4's.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 10:34:06 PM »
There is a guy in SA that has been advertising on eBay
And another in tasmaimia
Check eBay and gumtree
They come up reasonable regularly
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
I have now sent a email asking for a copy of my Import Approval for my car. Just so I know what the wording for the approval is. Don't know how long this is going to take  :huh:

There is a guy in SA that has been advertising on eBay
And another in tasmaimia
Check eBay and gumtree
They come up reasonable regularly

I've seen those adds. Tried to call one of them still waiting for reply  :banghead:

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 02:11:06 PM »
Just a follow up on the Import Approval.

Spoke to the Dept of infrastructure etc etc on Friday and was told that the Approval was not in my name but in the name of the guy who bought the vehicle in, (we shared a container for 2 cars and he went over and found them and shipped them), they will only send me a letter stating that the vehicle was imported under the current ruling at the time. The nice man on the phone told me that registration requirements are relative to the state. So as long as the vehicle complies with the RMS, then all is good and seeing that they don't have a problem with it, then it's all systems go for the conversion :banana: :pepper: :cheers:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »
mate you may be able to get a copy of the original import paper work of the RMS
when you register an imported vehicle,  the previous registrations system required you to give them a copy of the import paper work.

They should still have a copy in their archives
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 12:26:05 AM »

mate you may be able to get a copy of the original import paper work of the RMS
when you register an imported vehicle,  the previous registrations system required you to give them a copy of the import paper work.

They should still have a copy in their archives
Bfit
Not sure I need it after I spoke to the nice man at the Dept of Infrastructure, seeing that registration was dependent on the RMS or a state issue.
I think when the tech guy from the RMS suggested that I look at the wording of it he was concerned whether the vehicle had entered the country as a spare parts car, etc etc.

Suppose it won't hurt to ask for it!!!