Author Topic: c3 vacume system  (Read 8709 times)

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
c3 vacume system
« on: February 03, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »
hi guys,i have been in the garage all day working on my 71 vets vacume system,i have replaced the 2 canisters behind the lights,plus the 2 actuators inbetween,the only 1 I have not replaced is the I for the wiper door inside the fender.so what has happened when I turned the engine on is the headlight doors rose up but very slowly,but they would not pull down?so do I replace the wiper actuator?can I use one of the 2 old actuators that I replaced for the lights?they look the same,but not sure if there is a diferance?or could it be the canisters need more adjustment one way or the other?i have a vacume gauge and I was getting vacume from the tank forward,i will do more testing tomorrow and go over the pluming again,its just so time consumeing,i had to walk away lol,cheers

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: c3 vacume system
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
You have a loose hose at the front of the car or a split hose
In the nose just in front of the hood line .
That what I would start with.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
no I replaced those hoses,now I am thinking it could evan be the headlight switch?ill do some more vacume testing tomorrow

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:03:51 PM »
no I replaced those hoses,now I am thinking it could evan be the headlight switch?ill do some more vacume testing tomorrow
Have you got vacuum in the canister before you start the engine
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
I'll probably be out of order here, but on 78on the res was in the tubular steel section welded between the chassie rails at the front roughly under the lights, I could park, come back a week later, pull the switch and up they came (no engine running). Get some vaccumn & tube and put it straight onto each actuator. One of mine developed a hole in the actuator rubber diaphram so I replaced it as a complete unit. With Vac on each they should, if not siezed or Impeded, come straight up/down. Having said this,  please remember, 71 is not forteau. On a VK Commodore upon heavy accel, all dash A/C outlets would go haywire, I used a black plastic cystern float ball (easter eggy shape) brass fitting each end plus one way valve - instant cheap vaccum reservior. I hope something here helps. Bfit would know better than I, but lumpy cams I believe, may also cause lose of vac.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:06:43 AM »
Do they work fine with the engine running?

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
they only come up ,wont pull down,allso I have not been able to get wiper door working yet,i will spend some more time on them tomorrow,but I am thinking new relay valve for the wiper door and headlight switch

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:05 PM »
The control circuit small hose on vacuum valve has no vacuum so the vacuum solenoids are de-energised. The headlites go up when vacuum cut off from the diapram  check the over ride switch under dash or the headlite switch a few years ago there were diagrams on the net with headlite connections back to front. Will only work one way

Offline MADLT1

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 12:58:04 PM »
well what I just did was swap out the wiper door relay with one of the old headlight relays,and now it all works,unbeleivable lol,i will buy a new relay and check valve now and that should just speed it all up plus hold vacuume in the resavior tank,thanks for all the input,cheers

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »
The good thing from this you know the system  now
Bfit
Winston Churchill