Author Topic: 74 Stingray lighting issue  (Read 8658 times)

Offline 74WHORE

• I'm new here
  • Mood: I'm in an optional mood
74 Stingray lighting issue
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:14:47 PM »
Hello all, please forgive me if this is a topic previously covered or in the incorrect place but I'm not really a fluent forum engineer and am new to all this :-). Issue is my headlamps flicker like a bastard. Can't drive the car at night, they just flicker what seems hi to low etc. It is constant. There is no period of lights on or off, just constant flickering. I had a similar issue on a mustang (vomit in my mouth a little) and if the memory I have left serves me we'll, I think some sort of regulator was put in or something. Any advice, tips, or parts needed please let me know. Really want this sorted ASAP as I can't drive anywhere at night. The only plus side is that everyone gets out your way... Help?

Regards

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: 74 Stingray lighting issue
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:31:31 PM »
Sirfixalot will see this and let you know what going on
Bit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »
Yes Sirfixalot may know, I've not heard of this fault before, but would be looking at the hi/low switch,relay or wiring. It will be interesting to hear what it turns out to be. Oh one question - lights on, car stationary, what happens ?
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 09:22:30 AM »
Sounds like the headlite switch thermal circuit breaker is cooked probably caused by  high wattage headlites like aircraft landing lites being fitted to original wiring. Fitting relay's to high & low beam circuits will remove the high current thru the thermal CB but will probably also require the switch replaced

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
A - ha. Tell me ? Does this thermostat apply to 78's, I would assume  it does, if so this is good to keep in the brain bucket for later ron.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:48:14 PM »
I've had the voltage regulator in the alternator play up once, it was overcharging the battery. Low beam was like aircraft landing lights at times.
Has there been a acid smell in the car other than the usual oil and exhaust fumes in a C3? :bolt:
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 74WHORE

• I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
Thanks for the info. The headlamp bulbs were replaced once it hit OZ shores, and I believe this is what caused the problem in the mustang too. So I am wondering if it is the issue mentioned before. It doesn't matter if the car is driving or stationary... So what is this magical part I need to replace called, and where do I find it? The bulbs are not super high voltage, just a direct replacement but I think the ones standard are not as high spec as today's technology.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 12:02:12 AM »
They are all 12 volts, the wattage (power) may vary. The reason for the change is to comply, the RH beam cuts at the road centre, whilst the LH cuts at the centre of the car and then goes out over to the left side. In theory straight on coming traffic should never be blinded by the LH light. This is different in the US with LH Drive. Most lamps here are 55/65 watt, most people think thats not bright enough on high beam, but the filiment is placed at a different centre to the reflector and gives more light and is not shrouded like the low beam with a metal cover which controlls direction of light flow and the cut off zones. Todays brighter lamps appear brighter, but often it is because they operate at a different colour temperature. At 4200°K they are red to yellowish whilst at 6500°K they appear bluish ie they go from the red end to the blue end of the visible light spectrum. With that i now need to give the little grey cells a rest.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 74WHORE

• I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
Here a question, I want to replace all the dash bulbs while I have the dash out for the sound system install. What are the little bulbs called, and can I get them in colours??? Would love to hear from someone ASAP please. Even a link to the product I need would help. Thank you all!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
Yours is 74 & I assume 78 would be similar, you can get Led globes, in colours, in suitable fittings. Only trouble now is I'm having a mental block on the globe type. A Ha! T10 or wedge in many colours, or the long glass tube with the metal end caps are fetoon type (white). Jaycar's comes to mind or any good auto retailer like Auto one etc.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »
The globes are BA 9 type LEDS are available in colours blue look great they are available from ebay. I usually cut all the globe holders off the wiring loom & replace the small crimp on the end.I use a small pop rivet  & knock out the stud then crimp the rivet onto wire

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »
Yes, Sirfixalot is correct! His reply prompted me go out and get past the killer guard chooks and mice, and yes they are ba9s's, "ba" stands for bayonet, 9 is the base dia 9mm, "s" is for single  centre contact. Jaycars has retrofit kits and good Auto Elec shops should have proper LED lamps. I replaced the two rear compartment lamps in the 87 with leds, far brighter, whiter, no heat, uses less current.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 09:31:13 PM »
Up to 76 use BA 9 globes 77 uses BA9 in speedo/Tach T10 wedge in centre cluster 78-82 use T10 wedge 21 of them

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
The globe in the cigar lighter is a ba9s, the only bit i could get hold of to look at,  and the funny little light in cowling above the metres/guages which is a wedge  - T10.  This exercise has shown me i should not yet being trying to squeeze through windows etc and stretching tooooo much
🖕 Vettech.