Author Topic: How low is too low?  (Read 7794 times)

Offline midnightsdriver

• Two Barrel
How low is too low?
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »
I have rebuilt the front end and replaced the haggard old springs with 450lb pedders coils that were meant to be 1" lower than stock. The tyres are 245/60R15 on stock rally wheels. Is this too soft and too low?
It has a fibreglass leaf in the back and the bolts are out as far as they can go to lower it. What is the longest bolt possible to run with 15" wheels? Any other suggestions to lower the rear to match the front?
I can't upload photos from my phone but the top of the tyre is just inside the guard.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: How low is too low?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
Well the car needs to clear 4" (102mm)
Front springs 500lb for a BB
450 lb should work for a SB
As for he rear , longer bolts .
You will need to have addjustable camber links  to set up correctly.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline midnightsdriver

• Two Barrel
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Do longer bolts clear the inside of stock offset rally wheels? Hope it's not lower than 4", will have to get the tape out tomorrow. Whole front end is new so everything will need adjusting. Rear is getting a makeover next, have to order all the bits... more money!

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:54:29 AM »
8" bolts will clear the rear wheels on a 15" rally.

Rosco

Offline midnightsdriver

• Two Barrel
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks Rosco. I climbed under this morning, rear bolts are almost 8" already. Longer bolts will clear the tyres but the edge of the spring will come very close to the tyre with a bit of roll in a corner. I have 145mm clearance to the black strip spoiler and 175mm to the crossmember. All good for clearance if it doesn't settle much but the rear looks ridiculous!

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Longer than 8" will bring the bolts lower than the rim of the rally and if you get a flat guess what hits the ground the bolts.
The problem lies with the plastic spring you have in there, some manufactures namely TRW and Muskegon have a really pronounced arch and it makes the rear look like 4x4. If that's the case its up for a new spring as anything much over a 8 inch will hit the ground on a tyre deflation 
By the way 1" down a bolt is 1" down in the rear.
website worth looking at if your interested.
http://www.stl-vettes.com/68Vette/lowering/lowering.htm
What yr is your Vet.

Rosco

Offline midnightsdriver

• Two Barrel
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »
Must be the boomerang spring! Bummer. I think I have tried lowering it before and realised the spring will hit the deck with a flat.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
That's a good little web site Rosco. Clear & concise and the pics say it all.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Big Block
  • Car: 1972 Big Block 4 Speed
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »
Hi Guys,

Know this topic is a bit old but it has some good info I want to get some more feedback on.
Currently in the stage of giving the 72BB its 1st real birthday by replacing all the suspension ( Front & Rear ) , New Bushes , Rubbers , New 8" rear bolts , rear fibreglass spring etc , New Front Springs , Bilsteins all around.

Question ... I want to lower the ride height in the front ( currently have 255/60/15 all around ) Peddars make a lowering pair set ( known as 550 ) or Part No.7152 Heavy Duty Coil Spring (RED) , I also know Kings run a similar spring.

Anyone running any of the Peddars or Kings ? ( I have new BB Springs from Vansteel but really don't want to cut them to get whats required )

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
Chris
I have no idea to Pedders or Kings springs but I have Vansteel fronts and did not feel any
Thing when I chopped a bit out of them, they are nothing special and for the price I would think a lot cheaper than the others you mentioned.

Rosco

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
Hey Roscoe ... just checked some info also on Australian Corvettes Forum seems quite a few guys have put the Peddars in ( only $98 each )
I guess its a bolt them up and see how they ... A bit of trial and error.

Yes also have a new set from Vansteel ( Bfit gave me the contacts and Dan was very helpful with the Fibre Spring and Adj Struts , New Half shafts etc.. )

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »
get the one inch a side shorter spring and you will have no problems
VB&P  and vansteel sell them.
I think they are the same spring from either supplier
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:34:26 AM »
HI 69CVET King springs make a coil spring for c3s . They were made specially for Ron Missen Motor Sport if you ask them about them they should know what your talking about . From memory they are about an inch lower than standard . Ron did a lot of work getting them right and to his specifications . Ray

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »

Thanks Ray, will check them out also

Chris