Author Topic: Has anyone done LS1 into C4 conversion  (Read 8921 times)

Offline glenco

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
  • Mood: Great
Has anyone done LS1 into C4 conversion
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:36:24 PM »
Have decided to do an engine swap in my C4 as I have given up on trying to get the L98 boat anchor running properly :banghead: :grr:. Has anyone out there had experience with this conversion? Just like to know what Im getting into with this? :huh:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: Has anyone done LS1 into C4 conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:01:50 PM »
Sorry mate, not here, but Im interested, what hassels did you have with the original donk?.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline glenco

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
Hey Vettech, the main problem I have had is with the car randomly running rough and rich. I get a service engine light when it does this, but if I SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN AND RESTART IT RUNS OK AGAIN? I have checked the codes and I always get a code 33. I have replaced the maf sensor and the maf relays also replaced everything in the ignition system, cleaned out the throttle body & replaced all the gaskets & seals in the injection system, new injectors, new IAC valve, new TPS, new temperature sensor, new fuel pump, new ECM & chip. Drove it tonight, ran fine for a few kilometers & then ran rough again with engine light on? Basically dont know what else to do. I love the car when its running properly, but hardly it ever does. I dont want to sell & thats why Im thinking about an LS.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
Ah yes the ole fault codes. I have an 87 and get codes 33,34 & 36 every now and then. Run car up to temp (30mins) and restart sounds like flat battery, occassionaly it gives avery loud sharp "ping" when it fires - very disconcerting, sounds just like a valve being hit. I found 2 & 8 running half the temp of the other 6, had injectors removed, cleaned, both 2&8 clogged up. The car ran great after that, but the codes come and go along with starting issues. Jensen says the nose bush in the S/motor is warn and heat soak is causing the start issue, coupled to battery voltage being drawn down below values that the computer needs to set the timing/advance etc giving the ping !?. Codes 33&34 can be overlooked, they are air flow too high/low and only occur in first 20~120sec upon start up, if not constant (eg blocked aircleaner) they will reset upon restart. The above is very frustrating, since Im a firm believer in things running right, Im also a tight a'$/ who likes to fix them myself, I currently can't get under cars so the battery/ starter motor issues will have to wait. Considering how it was converted, with the battery moved I exect to find issues with earths, leads, connections, crimp terminals etc under the car.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
Sorry to prattle on, but Im now a firm believer in the regular use of "injector" cleaner, plus never use "E type fuels". Im currently looking to make up a pump,hose,pipe,leads etc to suck out the bottom of my fuel tank, Im sure it has water, animals and other creatures living in it. From experience large inground Diesel tanks have water, algae and other stuff living in them.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
If you have the will .
it will fit in there.
it only takes time and money
Are you talking manual or auto
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline glenco

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
Yeah Vettech, you sound nearly as frustrated as me :banghead: Just keep throwing things at it until it works hey?
Bfit Im thinking I will retain the 700r4 as I believe they still work fine behind an LS. I have chased up a lot of information from the states on this conversion & have found a shop over there that has all mounts, spacers and wiring looms etc. to fit the LS into a C4. Still good to talk to someone who has actually done it though.  :cheers:

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
Yes I have done a LS conversion and its a massive job. I am happy to talk to you about it if you like.
What I would do if I was you is change your MAF to a MAP sensor and fit a E6GMX haltech computer and get a good dyno tune and you wont know the car you will love it.
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline glenco

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »
Hey BOSCHVETTE, If I could find a way to make the car run properly with the L98 i would leave it, I was only thinking LS because I am so frustrated with it. Have you done the map sensor and haltech yourself? Id like to know more about that before I go down the LS road.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
Hey BOSCHVETTE, If I could find a way to make the car run properly with the L98 i would leave it, I was only thinking LS because I am so frustrated with it. Have you done the map sensor and haltech yourself? Id like to know more about that before I go down the LS road.

Glen,

Before you do that why not bite the bullet and take it ti S.R. Performance or at the very least ring Steve and tell him all the things you've done to try and fix it ?

Jethro

Offline BOSCHVETTE

• Tri Powered
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 08:29:29 AM »

Yes mate i have dont it plenty of times. The maf sensor is the worst way to monitor air flow for a tune and the computer in the c4 was designed it the early 80's. You dont still use your commodore 64 for your home computer so why use the same technology to run your car. Everyone that has done it loves it. Its a no brainer to me. call me if you want to discuss 0408621833
New toy about to breath life and we will have a strangle hold on the leadfoot forever 850hp 1150kg Australian sports sedan series here we come.
Z06 sports sedan about to be semi retired.
Old C4 weapon now retired to the garage
450 RWHP WITH MORE TORQUE THAN MUNDINE
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE BOUGHT A BAG OF ROCKS TO A GUN FIGHT.....

Offline glenco

• Two Barrel
  • I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 10:37:06 AM »
Thanks Boschvette. I will give you a call when I have time. And cheers Jethro, as you can see Im still working on it! The L98 might still get a reprieve. :grin:

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:46 PM »
Thanks Boschvette. I will give you a call when I have time. And cheers Jethro, as you can see Im still working on it! The L98 might still get a reprieve. :grin:

Fook Glen we are always working on em Bro  :toetap: