Author Topic: court case  (Read 74625 times)

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
Re: court case
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2017, 07:47:58 AM »
When I heard his  engine I pushed the brake as hard as I could reflex action .Cops measured my wheel  makes and said I was 12 feet from the car in front of me. He pushed me vehicle 32 feet, according to the police report. They estimated he was doing 50 MPH in a 35 zone when he hit me, this was in 1968.
Bfit

The Insurance  companies find any loophole to reduce their costs. As i mentioned if you have an accident in a roundabout they will assume both parties are to blame regardless of what the police say.
The term is called "knock for  knock."
In your accident they probably decided to share the burden between each other  for the pile up blamimg each car that ran into the back of the other.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
What baffled me is the other guy's insurance footed my bill even though at the time the police had charges against me for the accident.

I think that's how CTP works and why it's compulsory. Injured people can't be left in the lurch with high medical bills, even if they walked in front of your car and it's their fault. This is why the fines are heavy for driving around uninsured/unreg.

s

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »
People.arent i the lurch if you have an accident with an unregistered car. The nominal defendant covers the bill.
If you hit a roo or any other wilflife and get injured you are covered under this scheme as well.
You arent covered for domestic animals.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2017, 10:27:50 PM »
Big changes to the operation of CTP commencing December this year in NSW:

https://www.sira.nsw.gov.au/green-slips/ctp-green-slip-reforms
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
Reduce the cost of green slips, fn bullsh#t  the last time I heard that green slips when up, and up,and up.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
I remember when the green slip system was introduced. It removed the monopoly for CTP from the then government-owned GIO. Rego prices did drop considerably for a while and then rose to new heights as the profit-seekers took control.

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2017, 07:43:00 AM »
Rego prices did drop considerably for a while and then rose to new heights as the profit-seekers took control.

Yeah, the rego price did drop but the difference was soaked up by the price of the green slip. They sold it to us by saying the total cost will be the same, you just have to pay them separately. That lasted for a year or so then the insurance companies started upping their fee and the increase was faster than the rego increases; no surprises there. There's more insurance companies but each has to make yearly profits to please their shareholders.

s

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
Figure this one out my son (28 years old ) Green slip in Sydney $1300 moved to Orange for work Green slip renewal next year $375 . How does that work . Ray

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
Figure this one out my son (28 years old ) Green slip in Sydney $1300 moved to Orange for work Green slip renewal next year $375 . How does that work . Ray

The rates are calculated by the  no. of claims in the area; more claims in Sydney, you pay higher rates.

In Albany WA, it's a few hundred bucks for the lot. Of course the road works budget in WA is nowhere near what it is in other states so their rego is cheaper too.

s

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2017, 04:31:17 PM »
Thats BS, my home town is as dear as Sydney, theres only 25 people there. 500kms from Syd.

And ?..?.... there maybe more claims in Syd, but that should be tempered by the number of people living there - 5million

And And ?..?... What if I still lived in "Kickatinalong" but only ever drove in Mogo where the cost is very small.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
Thats BS, my home town is as dear as Sydney, theres only 25 people there. 500kms from Syd.

Is the crime rate as high? There must be a reason it's as high as Sydney. I have one car garaged at my sisters place 100km from Sydney and the CTP slip is significantly cheaper. Go to any greenslip calculator and try it for yourself, type in your postcode, then try another postcode at other suburbs more remote or more metropolitan and compare the price differences.

http://www.greenslips.nsw.gov.au/

What if I still lived in "Kickatinalong" but only ever drove in Mogo where the cost is very small.

In the calculator link above, it asks where is the car garaged; it doesn't matter where you drive it, so it may also have to do with the theft rate in that suburb of your garage.

Your insurance premium will vary depending on your car’s ‘home’ postcode. Some areas are safer than others and insurance companies may take this into account when calculating your premium. Cars parked in off-street carports, garages and secure parking bays may carry a lower risk than vehicles parked on streets and in unsecured parking areas.

It’s important to make sure you inform your insurance company if your circumstances change (e.g. you move house); in some cases, it may even reduce your premium if you move to either a safer neighbourhood or to a home with a lockable garage.

https://www.comparethemarket.com.au/car-insurance/how-is-car-insurance-calculated/

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2017, 05:58:53 PM »
Kickatinalong Should have high rates as out there you can get lead poisoning without the petrol burners
Straight from nature via the mines
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
Does the CTP in NSW cover theft and damage? It shouldn't. It should only cover personal injury. Property damage and theft will be covered by your insurance policy on top of the CTP as demonstrated by the above court case. Someone living in Kickatinalong will have low CTP rates because there is a low injury claim rate per capita in the shire.  Victoria has a component of our registration (the BIG part) to cover CTP but it doesn't cover property.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
Does the CTP in NSW cover theft and damage? It shouldn't. It should only cover personal injury.

You would think so but it's not the case, for instance I don't see how the age of my vehicle covers personal injury. Where are the stats that show older cars are in more (or perhaps less) accidents involving human injury?

Primary factors used by the insurers and which affect greenslip prices are as follows:

Geographic region
        Type of vehicle
        Age of vehicle
        Vehicle performance
        Age of vehicle owner
        Age of vehicle drivers
        Driving history

- Number of traffic offences
        - Number of demerit points
        - Number of years licensed

Claims history

- Level of insurance and no claim bonus
        - Number of at fault claims

http://www.greenslips.com.au/about-greenslips/setting-prices.html

Geographical Zones:

http://www.greenslips.com.au/about-greenslips/geographical-zones.html

s

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2017, 02:29:29 PM »
Ive tried writting an editorial and twice lost it, there has been more added - food for thought.

Stevo your list is right on it - they set parametres to suit themselves, increase rates = less payouts.

But you are wrong, the age of a vehicle is directly proportional to injuries.

Newer cars have built in safety, engines go under, side anti intrusion bars, safer body shells, air bags, set belts/retractors, steering compression plus + +.
All these make most accidents non-fatal, of course people will till try to have the biggest accident.
Dont forget the number of cars on the road in 78 is a fraction as compared to today.

BUT - one thing that should have nought to do with CTP is "level of insurance and no claim bonus".
I went to pay CTP  at a Ins branch at Wethetill Park, she checked her screen, said I have no Ins with them, correct, she said "that" CTP was
for a person with Comp Motor Vehicle Ins, I had to pay MORE. Crap I said -  Ins and CTP were separate and had nil to do with each other,
this hecame heated and the argument became fists including staff and a another customer (he's the reason they now have bolted down
chairs there) thank god Stocklands security are slow and useless. That was many years ago.

The advent of even more insurance companies trying to get their snout in the "Golden Goose" trough that is CTP is ludicrouse.
They say (Govt) that more Insurers means we have choice, to a degree correct, untill you delve in and find who owns or "underwrites"
these new compnies.

🖕 Vettech.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
Newer cars have built in safety, engines go under, side anti intrusion bars, safer body shells, air bags, set belts/retractors, steering compression plus + +.
All these make most accidents non-fatal, of course people will till try to have the biggest accident.

Ah yes, I forgot about the driver, I was thinking you got CTP more so to insure those you might hit but then again the grilles (or lack thereof) on modern vehicles are also more pedestrian friendly.

of course people will till try to have the biggest accident.

Yep, with all the modern features people are more blasé about safety and take more risk.

It's a race between engineers producing bigger and better idiot-proof features and the universe producing bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

s

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
Hell Doug now Im worried to drive my prehistoric horseless carrage !!!

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
A thought
You don't insure a rifle that could hurt some one or even worse, but a car mmm
Just  thinking outside the rectangle
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2017, 04:57:24 PM »
You don't insure a rifle that could hurt some one or even worse

You better keep that to yourself, gun owners will track down the person that gave insurance companies that idea.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2017, 05:08:51 PM »
I believe that the cars should not be insured at all . The driver should be insured. However that would be more cost effective for us the population and voter, the insurance companies and government would not collect as much cash out of the people they are there  to look after our interest of.
 :hi: :banghead:
Bfit
Who pays out when a police chase goes all wrong?
Winston Churchill