Technical Tips > Body Parts - Bodywork - Paint

Phosphoric Acid

(1/4) > >>

Matt G:
Has anyone used Phosphoric Acid to convert surface rust on their chassis?
If yes, what did you follow up with to protect afterwards?  Assuming that you did use something...
🍺Cheers.

metalhead:
Not on my Vette, but yes I've used it. Wire wheel as much rust off as you can first, convert, and paint. I don't think it will hold up long, particularly on a chassis, if it's not coated over with paint (or similar).

Matt G:
Looking for advice with regards to absolute comfort that the inside of my chassis is protected.  I have previously sprayed phosphoric acid in there, however I didn't seal it afterwards. I was thinking of spraying a tanic acid solution (converter and sealer), and then cold gal. When you guys do your frame off restos, what/how do you treat the inside of your chassis? I know that you guys are more detailed and anal than me, so I'm pretty sure that you don't just give the outside a quick spray of black and call it done.
any advise or experience on this out there?

Matt G:
Maybe I should simplify my question. Anyone who's done a body off resto.... what have you used to protect the inside of your chassis?
Any tips or tricks would be appreciated (before I go with my typical "what the hell, let's try it" approach)
Cheers

bootlegger:
If you use any type of acid on metal you need to nuetralise it with water otherwise you will create more rust.
If you want to coat the inside of the chassis any epoxy paint will do such as kill rust.
POR spruick about how great there product is at preventing rust but its expensive and once done your pride and joy will never experience the hard life it had when it was ten years old.
So my point is get rid of the rust and just fill it with paint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version