Author Topic: C3 diff/axles  (Read 15819 times)

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
C3 diff/axles
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
So I've been pulling down my rear suspension to fit new bushes and shocks (79 Corvette)... And I have a heap of play in the side yokes on the diff. A bit of reading suggests I'll almost certainly need a diff rebuild and new side yokes. :tears: Anyone had this done and have suggestions as to where to source parts or who to do the diff rebuild? I could probably have a crack at it I suppose, but I haven't rebuilt a diff centre before.

Help?!

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
Re: C3 diff/axles
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:30:34 PM »
I have .037" play on one side, and .061" on the other. It looks like a lot more!

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »
If your only using the car on the road and it's not leaking,
Leave it alone .
The spec is 0.004" to 0.008"
A 1/16" ( 0.00625") is quit common
 The play is caused by wear in the clutchs Packs in the diff
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:31:18 PM »
Really? That would be good news! Elsewhere I read anything over. 025" was bad here: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2986941-differential-side-yoke-play.html Also, do you have an extra 0 in your spec figures? Because .061" is a lot more than .008"?

It does leak a bit, doesn't drip but is always covered in oil. I will do some club motorsport (hillclimbs/track days) with it. I thought being effectively the upper control arm that I'd want it as close to 0 as possible?

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »
Really? That would be good news! Elsewhere I read anything over. 025" was bad here: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2986941-differential-side-yoke-play.html Also, do you have an extra 0 in your spec figures? Because .061" is a lot more than .008"?

It does leak a bit, doesn't drip but is always covered in oil. I will do some club motorsport (hillclimbs/track days) with it. I thought being effectively the upper control arm that I'd want it as close to 0 as possible?

Agree

You don't want the rear steering  you in a direction your not pointing the front.
You cound  drop the rear of the diff down , take the rear cover off and turn the circlips over to see how much reduction you get in end play.
I had 3 mm in one side, when I fitted original shafts to new diff , I had 0.004 and 0.006" end play.
What im saying new shafts won't  fix the problem.
Bfit

Check this out if you want the rear end to work for you .
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1968-1979-c3-corvette-rear-strongarm-system.html
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »
Ok, thanks. Might take a look inside the diff, given everything is out anyway. I know the axles themselves aren't the issue, but some things I read said that the side yokes on/in the diff weren't properly hardened in late 70s c3s and are commonly worn resulting in this play? Dunno, will have to open it up and have a look I suppose.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
Just looked at the ridetech link. Are you running it? It's certainly looks like nice gear. The extra space for wider tyres is useful, and the coilovers would offer better tuning ability, along with a better shock location in this instance (located rearward on trailing arm, so will see a greater amount of travel against a given suspension movement). But I find it interesting that the lower arms and trailing arms look very similar in geometry and function to stock, and it still relies on the half shafts for location. Im curious how much actual performance advantage it offers over a good leaf spring, bilstein shocks and good poly bushes etc? I'm interested in your thoughts. Certainly the ridetech setup would allow more and much easier adjustment, and that's a big advantage in itself.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Doing some math :banghead:, seems even the worse side would result in a camber change of less than 0.25 degrees, which initially doesn't seem a lot, but on the other hand, half a degree change in camber can make a significant difference to handling and/or tyre wear, so...  Dunno.  Anyone done or had done this work before?

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
 Yes I run this set up in one of my cars .
And yes the basics are the same  as the original,

The trailing arm is manufactured along the lines of a Webster truss
Deflection in the trailing arm is minimal.
The advantage is in the coil over  being fitted at the optimal angle .
I'll have  something to compare against after the leadfoot Next month.
I'll let you know
 Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »
Cool, I'll be interested to hear!  :drag:

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »
Has anyone dealt with difftrans in Newcastle? Guy sounded very knowledgable on the phone and said he'd done a couple of these centres before. I'm dropping it off to him today.

For interest sake. Check out the wear on the end of the left side yoke:

Above photo is with the yokes pulled out, below is with them pushed in, you can see the clearance between circlip and plate. Sorry about the blurry picture.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:13:24 AM »
Doing some math :banghead:, seems even the worse side would result in a camber change of less than 0.25 degrees, which initially doesn't seem a lot, but on the other hand, half a degree change in camber can make a significant difference to handling and/or tyre wear, so...  Dunno.  Anyone done or had done this work before?

Just a note: I made an error in working this out. Actually ~1/2 degree change in camber for my 1.5mm side yoke movement. Not good! Particularly if your strut rod bushings look like this as well...:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
Just a note: I made an error in working this out. Actually ~1/2 degree change in camber for my 1.5mm side yoke movement. Not good! Particularly if your strut rod bushings look like this as well...:

turf them and get a set of adjustable rod from Vansteel or one of the reputable suppliers
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
Has anyone dealt with difftrans in Newcastle? Guy sounded very knowledgable on the phone and said he'd done a couple of these centres before. I'm dropping it off to him today.

For interest sake. Check out the wear on the end of the left side yoke:

Above photo is with the yokes pulled out, below is with them pushed in, you can see the clearance between circlip and plate. Sorry about the blurry picture.

looking at the photos you have a problem developing.
you can see what looks like damage in the root of one of those side gears.
bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »
turf them and get a set of adjustable rod from Vansteel or one of the reputable suppliers
bfit

I've been seriously considering it. At this point though, I'm hurting a bit on all the parts, I have new poly bushes (bought a full car kit), and they're easily replaced later on. So I think I'll try the poly bushes, and maybe make some adjustable  rods with heim ends a bit later.

Do you have any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of mounting the inboard end of the strut rods a little lower to decrease the camber gain in compression? Obviously it's better for launches, but normally camber gain is a good thing for handling? I was considering a spacer to mount them ~0.5" lower, but found conflicting information as to whether it would be beneficial or not.

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
I've been seriously considering it. At this point though, I'm hurting a bit on all the parts, I have new poly bushes (bought a full car kit), and they're easily replaced later on. So I think I'll try the poly bushes, and maybe make some adjustable  rods with heim ends a bit later.

Do you have any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of mounting the inboard end of the strut rods a little lower to decrease the camber gain in compression? Obviously it's better for launches, but normally camber gain is a good thing for handling? I was considering a spacer to mount them ~0.5" lower, but found conflicting information as to whether it would be beneficial or not.
most of the aftermarket kit lower the inner point 1/2"
its not hard that make your own bracket, also  the OEM and aftermarket brackets are far to light and have been know to crack.

Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »
If you are ordering new strut bushes, measure the ID of the arm first.  There are two different sizes, depending on the year.  Mine had been swapped for the later year ones.

Edit: Whoops, there's a second page.  If the bushes you have don't fit, this is why.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 09:13:23 AM »
Thanks Scott, I bought the complete car Energy Suspension poly kit from Summit, and fortunately it came with both bush sizes. If anyone needs the smaller size I'd be happy to give them away! Although actually that might not be a very useful offer, as it only came with a single set of the sleeves and washers. Not sure if the sleeves and washers from the original bushes are the same?

Offline billet351

• I'm new here
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
My 79 side yokes were that worn, one circlip was gone and the other had less than a circlip thickness before it too was gone, that 135 thou. Yokes had ground into housing, requiring a replacement as there was no meat left for the seal to sit

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
Yes I run this set up in one of my cars .
And yes the basics are the same  as the original,

The trailing arm is manufactured along the lines of a Webster truss
Deflection in the trailing arm is minimal.
The advantage is in the coil over  being fitted at the optimal angle .
I'll have  something to compare against after the leadfoot Next month.
I'll let you know
 Bfit

So, new pb according to the other thread! What do you think of the Ridetech setup? If you don't mind me asking, what sort of times are you running, and what modifications are made to the car?

Cheers,

Andrew.