Author Topic: Beware of scammers if selling on Unique Cars  (Read 5294 times)

Offline Camo

• Jethro is my nemesis
  • Administrator
  • Supercharged
  • Joe Pappas Missile Builder
  • Car: 77. 355 ci 400hp
Beware of scammers if selling on Unique Cars
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »
One of the club members sent me an email of what is clearly a scammer.  Copy of email below.

Beware of scammers if selling your car lad and ladets

"Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra 300.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have a bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Regards
Scott.."

The scammer, Scott, has an email address in this case of scottoliver275@gmail.com
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

Black is not a colour, it's a life style

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
Re: Beware of scammers if selling on Unique Cars
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
Await your reply .

Regards
Scott.."

Hello sailor,

After giving one second's consideration to your proposal, my reply is to shove it up your lying, thieving porthole.

Yours truly, etc
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:58:59 PM »
I have a feeling he's asking for more details to put up a duplicate posting of the car at a bargain basement price to suck in hopeful buyers or he's going to pretend to send him money (probably the $300), show him a fake receipt and ask for a refund when he says he won't be buying the car.

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »
I thought they generally pay with a stolen paypal account, and pay you for the car plus shipping cost, which you then pay to their shipper (who is actually them).  By this time, paypal are notified it's a stolen account and someone is out of pocket for the 'shipping fee'.

It's not just Uniqie Cars, but all of them.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
which you then pay to their shipper (who is actually them).

Stuff that!

Buyer always arranges shipping and pays the shipper; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If a shipper ever turns up and wants payment; send them home.

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:02:05 AM »
Stuff that!

Buyer always arranges shipping and pays the shipper; don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If a shipper ever turns up and wants payment; send them home.

It's a scam.  It's not supposed to make sense :)

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 10:19:55 PM »

Hi guys,

I have also had a few txt messages from unknown moffos who obviously got my number from carsales texting me to reply to them at a gmail account.

When I tried calling the mobile number, it didnt work!

I found it weird that they texted me and wanted my to reply to a gmail account@!!!!!
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
They use an online text service, so there isn't an actual phone account.  I got lots of them when I was selling my Mustang.  Some sites are worse than others with scammers sending you texts and emails.  Carsguide was a bad one in particular, but it's a free site.