Author Topic: Here We Go Again  (Read 8674 times)

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
Here We Go Again
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi Guys,
Some of you might remember me from a couple of years ago. I sold my '75 to a guy in Melbourne and thought I'd got the Corvette thing out of my system, been there done that so to speak.
However, I had a bit of a relapse a couple of weeks ago and went out and bought me an '87 C4.   :omg: Unlike my last Vette, I actually went out and looked at this thing before buying it. It's a pretty little thing and seemed ok for the money, so bought it and drove it home from Caloundra to Central Coast. Got home ok except I somehow set off the bloody alarm in the motel carpark, Sirfixalot to the rescue. By 'phone that is.
It's got some of the usual problems, some of the cluster backlight globes not working, the climate controller is playing up, console lid destroyed, antenna not going up & down, electric mirrors don't work etc. but all can be fixed with time and money.
Anyway, looking forward to catching up with a few old faces, and I guess a few new ones, in the not too distant future.
BobW
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
Re: Here We Go Again
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 05:01:55 PM »
Oh Yeah, forgot to attach a couple of pics.

Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
Congrats Bob ,antibiotics do nothing for the Vette Virus do they .Ray

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »
Glad to see you had a relapse Bob. Hope to catch up soon.
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »
Welcome back Bob. Nice looking Vett, really a C4, what where you thinking buddy?  :lol:
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Welcome back, Bob.

Like malaria, Corvette fever has been known to recur after a few years.

All we need know is some vert-friendly weather.  :grr:
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
Finally got your belts today will be in the mail Monday

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »
Thanks for your replies gents.

Nick, the answer is quite simple ……… it's red !! Have to admit, there's lots off stuff under the bonnet that I really don't understand. I've googled "where is the carburettor on a C4" a couple of times but no answers come up. Seems like others don't know much about these cars either.

Geoff, thanks. I'll start ripping the seats out today. Might get that finished by about Wednesday next week.

BobW
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »
The back lit globes in the dash (4 from memory) are a QH type - I replaced one many years ago - used a two pack of 5w 12V QH globes common at Bunnings in the garden section - cheap as chips.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bootlegger

• Tri Powered
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 07:42:57 AM »
Ah bob nothing wrong with a vette relapse..Have you got the tow bar sorted for it yet?
One day ill replace mine.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 08:32:15 AM »
Thanks for the info on the dash globes Vettech. Last week I was reading Battee's info about all things electrical on a C4 and ordered a set of their Xenon globes, which are winging their way to Oz at the moment. Good to know that others are available locally 'though.

Not sure about that tow bar idea Dave. Might leave that job to the GTS Triton. Unless of course you mean that the tow bar would be a good place to attach a winch cable if the bloody thing breaks down in the middle of whoop whoop.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Working on something that someone else has been stuffing about with is always a "voyage of discovery".

So far, on this '87, I've come across wires just twisted together,  green/white wire entering a home made bit of harness and exiting as a blue wire, a knock in the top end that was caused by the Yella Terra Roller Rockers (which the previous owner didn't know it had) hitting on the nice shiney new chrome rocker covers which, by the way, don't include an oil filler opening. Guess I'll have to use the PCV opening to do an oil change. Fixed the rocker hitting the rocker cover problem with one of these things.  :lol:
The most interesting was tracking down an oil leak at the front of the engine. First thoughts were front oil seal, so started ripping everything off the front of the engine. While removing the bolts that secure the P/S and Alternator bracket to one of heads, I noticed that the bolt was very oily. But that's a blind hole in the front of the head. Turns out someone had used a bolt that was just a bit too long and it had fractured the head casting right where that big drain hole is in the head, the one that lets the oil drain back to the sump. A bit of a cleanup and bit of Silastic and oil leak gone, I hope.
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
Wires - I luv wires esp the ones you mention, except several of mine changed colour twice within the loom, I won't mention that company up Nth that did the conversion. Also ones in the engine bay cut off and left hanging, why would you need two horns ? Unless one sounds like a choking chook. Surely they could have pulled the plug off or better still fit another horn!? Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!. Calm down - remember the blood pressure...........".".". Oh now get a small tube of "Red Stag" jointing compound used sparingly on jobs like that bolt, it can also be used on food/ beverage equip. The water pump backing plate on my 78 was corroded out and my Silver soldering leaves a lot to desire (could not get another something about the nose length) any way after the solder came a coat of Stagg - still water tight.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »
Recklaw, as the Americans would say "Bubba" has been working on that car.

Have heard of conversion jobs where shoddy rewiring caused all sorts of problems down the track with computerised ignitions, etc.

Offline Reklaw

• Four Barrel
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 11:56:30 AM »
I think Bubba has migrated to Down Under!
Bob Walker
Long Jetty

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 12:15:36 PM »
I think Bubba has migrated to Down Under!

Bloody 457 visas!