Author Topic: C4 Roof Seals etc.  (Read 10059 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
C4 Roof Seals etc.
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »
After last weeks down pours I've spat the dummy. Can any one suggest a good person or company who can do a car set (less rear window) of rubber seals. You know doors, roof, r/bar etc. AND are the OEM or some other type preferred. Don't necessarily want cheapest parts or job - just Quality value for money. Would appreciate any bad exeriences as well. If you don't want to make that public then please send me PM direct. I'm fed up with ducks swimming in the car foot Ponds - sorry wells.... I await your valued comments.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
Re: C4 Roof Seals etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
Bump. Some one out there must have done roof / door / window rubbers !?!?
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 10:43:21 PM »
Bump. Some one out there must have done roof / door / window rubbers !?!?

Arn't you supposed to be resting
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »
Yes . Thanks - does that "B" in Bfit stand for Belinda ?. Doesn't mean I can't get some one else to fix the dam thing - they will most likely do a better job. I've got all the ducks out now, just have to remove the swamp creatures - like it or not, appears I will be redecorating ie carpet.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
Come on guys there must be a member in N.S.W who has had C4 rubbers replaced, I now have "can't drive downtime" which means a good time to get it away and fixed - SO! Please let me know your preference or ideas - call me direct or send a PM. Thanks.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:17 PM »
When I had the C4, I had a trimmer at Guildford fit a set of new rubbers. I'm sure any good motor trimmer could do the job. Does anyone out there have one that they would recommend to Vettech, preferably in Sydney's southwest?
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline White88

• Four Barrel
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »
Vettech, I don't think there is any supply AND fit company's in NSW for the rubber seals, you will most probably will have to buy them in yourself through a company like Dave Clee's USGM parts or Mid America like Co. and then get them fitted by yourself ( not hard if your handy with tools) or like Vettenut said find a upholstrey co. that may do it. I done mine myself wasn't that hard just took a little time , don't rush it, it's not a 5 minute job either.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
Thanks guys. At the moment I can't do any thing so I might get some new rubbers ordered and go from there - later I maybe able to do them myself I've done the rear glass, but it is easy peasy.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
I'm back ---- and I'm armed with a load of roof/door seals. AND! I even got year/ model correct and even got the coupe rubbers, then coming home on the plane I was worried I'd bought convertible rubbers. Now to fit them. One trick I've learned is to clean them first as the molds are sprayed with "release compound" which stuffs up glue adhesion. Seems best is contact adhesion not wet style. But I can't see how this can be done as some rubbers have to be coaxed into slots etc. Anyone out there with 2 cents worth to contribute now would be a good time. I'm now at the stage where I can do a few hours work, so I'm looking forward to doing something.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
Ok I bit the bullet and decided to start with the easiest. Took off the roof and ripped off the RH side seal. Some things to be aware of 1. They don't come off easily. 2. Glue etc sticks like $!&t to a blanket. 3. The sticker/glue remover does not work 4. CO cleaner (isopropyl alcohol ) does not work. 5. The seal remover tool kit has a scraper that does not fit into the track, you need a good screwdriver. 6. There are five screws under the rubber once removed allows the track to come away from the roof. 7. Prise the track away carefully as the seal under it must be retained. 8. Carefull scrap the rubber/glue off with the driver. Once most crap is removed, I used a "Dremel like " tool with a thin wire wheel to get into the two side tracks at the bottom of the track. This rips out the rubber etc and eventually it will all clear. The new rubber has to go down into these two slots. The new rubber does not have the hard plastic insets moulded into the ends that allow the ends to be securely screw down, manuf oversight or cheap s?(;/ Indian rubbish. Annoying since I just got these in the States. Oh the screws have a "star type" driver head. I'm totally annoyed now, blood pressure going up, I think I'll cook something, I'm depressed I need to eat.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Ok I bit the bullet and decided to start with the easiest. Took off the roof and ripped off the RH side seal. Some things to be aware of 1. They don't come off easily. 2. Glue etc sticks like $!&t to a blanket. 3. The sticker/glue remover does not work 4. CO cleaner (isopropyl alcohol ) does not work. 5. The seal remover tool kit has a scraper that does not fit into the track, you need a good screwdriver. 6. There are five screws under the rubber once removed allows the track to come away from the roof. 7. Prise the track away carefully as the seal under it must be retained. 8. Carefull scrap the rubber/glue off with the driver. Once most crap is removed, I used a "Dremel like " tool with a thin wire wheel to get into the two side tracks at the bottom of the track. This rips out the rubber etc and eventually it will all clear. The new rubber has to go down into these two slots. The new rubber does not have the hard plastic insets moulded into the ends that allow the ends to be securely screw down, manuf oversight or cheap s?(;/ Indian rubbish. Annoying since I just got these in the States. Oh the screws have a "star type" driver head. I'm totally annoyed now, blood pressure going up, I think I'll cook something, I'm depressed I need to eat.

lol I know that I need to eat syndrome .
Mate what is a star tyre  driver Phillips head , power drive ?
please explain !
bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »
Gee Whiz Doug lucky you took on the VP job to distract you from all that hard stuff Lol .

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:09:43 PM »
Mate what is a star tyre  driver Phillips head , power drive ?
please explain !
bfit
C4 is chock a block with Torx security screws. Work OK with the right tools but bloody hard to source when you lose them.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
Sorry guys only now been allowed to go on the system. Yes Bfit, Sabre is correct they are a Torque screw head and the size is T15, I bought this to remove the C4 front number plate cover, but found it needed a long thin T6.  Yesterday I took the roof back off and removed the LH side. I now have both tracks cleaned and ready to go back on, but the gluing bit is worrying me. I know "Contact" method is best but I'm worried it will grab before I have it positioned into the slots. I've done a few dry runs and its hard not to put stretch into the rubber ending up with one or both ends hanging limp out of the ends of the track. Off course this is only half the issue since the tracks must be screwed back on the roof prior to rubbers going on.  :grr: I'm much better but still limited on weight I can lift/move with each arm. Maybe one of the door rubbers will be easier. Well the poached eggs are done and the smoked salmon is looking good - time to eat......
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:24:19 PM »
I've done a few dry runs and its hard not to put stretch into the rubber ending up with one or both ends hanging limp out of the ends of the track.

Perhaps put them in and get them sitting right, then index them at a number of locations with a sharpie, or something else than can be cleaned off later.  Then you'll know as you work your way along with the glue that there won't be extra at the ends.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 01:28:08 PM »
Thanks Scotty, after much reassessment, I decided they were glued at each end and the Middle slotted track section was a tight fit and years of the rubber naturally adhering to the slots, so I glued each end and used the screws, hen worked it in, once in it stayed in. Windows go up snuggly, now if it clears up I'll try either the A pillar or B pillar / halo.
🖕 Vettech.