Author Topic: Buying a Corvette,  (Read 5272 times)

Offline fenny

• I'm new here
Buying a Corvette,
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
Hello,

Looking at a corvette C3.

Is it better to buy as original as possible, or restored.

Please help.

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Big Block
  • Car: 1972 Big Block 4 Speed
Re: Buying a Corvette,
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
Just recently brought in a Restored C3 and in the process of another , it all depends on the year models ( and this makes a huge difference ) you should be extremely careful with OS sellers unless you have a good relationship with them or have someone who can view the car for you.

Original ( and who really knows to what extent matching numbers goes ?? ) - what really is Original these Days ?
You will pay the price for the smell of Original

Here in Australia you can pay over inflated prices for some C3 ( from 74 - early 80s ) but the Car will have been imported and most cases have rego for you , but you will pay .......$$$$$ , Also in Australia sellers are asking the same prices for 74-80s as what you can get for a solid 73 C3 in USA , but you will need to do the import.
Be careful with Cars on the East Coast ( Snow and Salt )

If you chance your arm and look at the many sites available you can grab a bargain but it comes with risks ! ( so many sites outside of EBAY )
Get to know good shipping companies as well ...... bringing in a Project Car will cost a lot so be prepared for New Paint , Interior , Rust Issues ,suspension , brakes etc..

My advice if you can buy local ( and at a reasonable price ) go for it ... and know the value of each year model from 68 to early 80's ( its vital ) 
Good Luck , I am sure the other members will chip in with their own stories and experiences :o)

Offline fenny

• I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
ChopTop 73

Thank you for your very kind and helpful reply.

I do not want to take up to much of your time, but can you answer another question.

The car is for my Wife (Fenny).

I am looking at 1977 to 1981, They seem to be around $25,000 to $35,000.
What would be a reasonable price for a good (not exceptional) one.

Many Many Thanks.

Luke

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
Pm me your number I will call you.
Chris

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
before you go any further on this have you read this article, its full of very good advice.

http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=9492.0

Ross

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Perfect Overview  Rosco !!

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 12:15:32 PM »
If you are buying a car to drive, get the most looked after and well maintained one you can.  'Originality' is more of a boasting point for the minority that care about it.  Fuel injection, an overdrive gearbox or auto, air conditioning, power  brakes and power steering are more useful than a matching numbers engine and period gearbox if you want to drive it lots.  The more you enjoy driving it, the more you will drive it and enjoy it.  I had a cheap 65 mustang that I took to a few shows, but I got the most enjoyment out of taking it to the beach, or a nice country road with the family for a day trip as it was a reliable, easy to drive thing.

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 12:18:14 PM »
Also, with the drop of the aussie $$$, you may be better off buying one of the many many cars that were imported when the exchange rate was $1.10.  There are more cars than buyers so you should be able to get a good deal ;)

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:11 PM »
I agree its a buyers market in regards to the 74-82 C3,s.
But its also very much a buyer beware with some of them, lots of polished turds out there.
My choice on the better yrs would be the 80 to 82 models they are usually loaded with options.

Ross