Author Topic: C4 A/C ducts recycle fire wall  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
C4 A/C ducts recycle fire wall
« on: December 05, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
Has any one got a diag or knowledge of how outside air gets into Plenum/airbox. There must be a flap or something which closes the cabin air off so outside air is picked up. Looking under the passengers foot well (LH side)  I can see straight into the fan pick up blades. There is no flap or vent mech fitted, so irrespective of your setting the air is always recycled cabin air. Considering this car was converted by a "well know barf" company in Qld and there WERE no air ducts connecting any thing behind the dash, I  can only assume they ripped "something" out and forgot to replace it. I have a "Build Book" for C3/78 is there such an animal for C4's ?..... I desparately need/want cool air.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: C4 A/C ducts recycle fire wall
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »
Is there a duct into the rear top of the fire wall and some Dort of filter
Look into the wiper well
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 04:53:33 PM »
.When it stops bucketing down and I've  pumped the car out I'll  have a look - thanks Bob.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 05:41:45 PM »
Take advantage get a towel and get in for a swim
Vette pool
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
My hole family is wondering why im in the office laughing my head off , you two crack me up !!!!

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
Bad news Dougie!  :therethere:
I assume your C4 has a mirror conversion as you said you can see the inlet to the fan on the LHS. On the original there is a flap which opens the OUTLET side of the fan (duct inlet) to the plenum so you get fresh air with or without fan. When they flip the heater box the flap, which is mounted in the firewall, gets lost to put the new section in that takes the pedal support and steering column support. All air is sourced from the cabin. If your 'flap' is still there (unlikely) you'll find it towards the centre on the right side close to where the cross duct used to be.
So the cheapest answer might be to fix your air-con or get used to windows and sauna. :tears:

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:59:42 PM »
I think you need to change your handle - "to walking encyclopedia". I'm not sure if its thanks or bloody hell I've been Fghhfhfed once again. Obviously  I need to get the A/C going- but it annoys me I can't get it "like" original. The early Comodore AC box was mounted within the engine bay - I wonder.
🖕 Vettech.