Author Topic: Ignition switch problems  (Read 4094 times)

Offline 76Vett

• Four Barrel
  • From the Shire
Ignition switch problems
« on: September 14, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions regarding my 76.
1. What is supposed to come on when the ignition switch is in the accessories position?
2. When I got the car it did not have a centre console in it. I bought a new aftermarket one from Ecklers but Im having difficulty getting it to fit. It seems that the front of the console neeeds to go up about 25mm so that the front mounting holes line up but it can't as it is hard up against the bottom edge of the centre cluster bezel and cannot go up any higher, it is as if the whole center area of the dash has dropped but I would not think this would happen. so any clues?

Thanks

The answer really is 42

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
Re: Ignition switch problems
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions regarding my 76.
1. What is supposed to come on when the ignition switch is in the accessories position?
2. When I got the car it did not have a centre console in it. I bought a new aftermarket one from Ecklers but Im having difficulty getting it to fit. It seems that the front of the console neeeds to go up about 25mm so that the front mounting holes line up but it can't as it is hard up against the bottom edge of the centre cluster bezel and cannot go up any higher, it is as if the whole center area of the dash has dropped but I would not think this would happen. so any clues?

Thanks

I am using a Corvette America made console. From memory I think I had the same problem with the front mounting holes too low.
I ended up getting it to fit but it was a real pain in the arse.
I loosened off the dash pads and centre cluster screws and then managed to lift the front of the console enough to get the screw holes lined up. I then retightened all the dash and gauge cluster screws.
The whole dash and centre console assemble are a very tight fit.

I had my console and centre cluster out this weekend. This time I removed the passengers side dash pad first. To put it back in it was still a tight fit but a lot easier then the first time.

Another thing, did you get the steel reinforcing bracket for the front of the console? This is what the gauge cluster bolts to and also reinforces front mounting holes.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000050g~Z5Z5Z513432~P19.95~~~~S45U098PB612122155258f~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050G~~~

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
I had the same problem with Jetro's car when I fitted his new interior I put timber blocks in footwells then spanned across trans tunnel with a piece of timber then used a scissor jack to lift up the centre of dash pad it is the metal strip under the dash pad is the wrong shape it doesn't have enough curve in it .This is what supports all the bits of the dash you will have to remove the centre instrument cluster to push up under the metal strip   

Offline 76Vett

• Four Barrel
  • From the Shire
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »
Thanks very much for the tips, I will give that a go. So just to be clear the idea is to push a bit of a curve into the metal strip so taking a measurement before and after the push is advisable to be able to determine how much curve / lift gained?

The answer really is 42

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »
Hows the paint job going on the Vet.

Ross