Author Topic: Need a new car?? you may soon be able to import one !!  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Miss Independent

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Girls just wanna have fun
****Don't let someone else dim your light simply because it's shining in their eyes***

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Re: Need a new car?? you may soon be able to import one !!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »

Wonder if Chevy will rethink RHD vettes sooner than later?

I think that's extremely unlikely, we're too small a market to cater for.
In most RHD countries now, you can register a LHD car, provided they don't manufacture a RHD version.
Hopefully, that could change here too.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Eight steps: What the White paper says the government should consider:

1 - Do nothing and maintain current vehicle prices and standards.

2 - Repeal current legislation altogether, leaving consumers vulnerable to vehicles that do not meet standards, and exposing the environment to increased pollution.

3 - Modernise 25-year-old legislation with a goal of making the industry more transparent, effective and efficient.

4 – Introduce stronger legislation that tightens vehicle regulations, giving the government more power to enforce recalls and create its own regulatory body separate to the  current Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries.

5 – Harmonise Australian Design Rules with international standards, making vehicles cheaper.

6 – Streamline the vehicle certification process, allowing large numbers of privately imported vehicles to enter Australia as long as they meet the same standards as models officially imported by car companies and dealer networks.

7 - Reduce barriers to personal imports, which would include the removal of a $12,000 tariff on vehicles without import approval, reducing the cost of second-hand cars and possibly driving down prices for new vehicles as a result.

8 – Consolidate concessional arrangements to make it easier for people and businesses to import cars.

---------------

"Assistant Minister for Infrastructure, Jamie Briggs, says the discussion paper is only the first step to reviewing legislation that may have passed its use-by date.

"No decision has been taken by the Australian Government to reduce these restrictions and we have no intention to allow Australia to become the dumping ground for other countries' second-hand lemons,"

"Any potential changes to the Act will be comprehensively examined in close consultation with stakeholders, and I strongly encourage interested parties to put forward their views."

The Government is open to consultation until October 13."

I wonder of the Australian Confederation of Motor Clubs is preparing a submission?
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:59:48 AM »
In most RHD countries now, you can register a LHD car, provided they don't manufacture a RHD version.
Hopefully, that could change here too.

Not while we're manufacturing our own and even when the big 3 shut down manufacturing here I don't see it, everyone will start importing LHD's to save money.  They'd have to tax imports to the level where they're no longer a threat.  You can see why they allow 30+ year old cars to remain LHD; there's not many businesses relying on the sale of second hand cars over 30 years old.

s