Author Topic: Buying a 1976 C3 in NSW not registered and recently imported  (Read 16396 times)

Offline AZ316

• I'm new here
Buying a 1976 C3 in NSW not registered and recently imported
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and looking at either importing a 1976  C3 vette or possible buying one here. I have found a few examples here in oz that have been recently imported but have not been registered.

I suppose that the car is already here is one advantage, the thing that concerns me with this situation is that the car should technically need only minor modifications to get ADR compliance (seat belts, lights?) and rego. So why would someone avoid this process.......... obviously something not 100%??

In this instance what risks would I need to be careful of in relation to getting the car in my name and registered (apart form the probable mechanical issues) Would anyone consider this option if getting the car for the right price??

Or is there less uncertainty if I import one myself? and if so could anyone recommend a good importing company and custom broker.

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
Re: Buying a 1976 C3 in NSW not registered and recently imported
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:19:25 PM »

I suppose that the car is already here is one advantage, the thing that concerns me with this situation is that the car should technically need only minor modifications to get ADR compliance (seat belts, lights?) and rego. So why would someone avoid this process.......... obviously something not 100%??

Or is there less uncertainty if I import one myself? and if so could anyone recommend a good importing company and custom broker.

Different states have different requirements for full and club rego, so they leave it up to the buyer.
There are a lot of mid 70s corvettes here for sale, it's a lot easier to fly interstate to inspect one, than import one.
If you wish to import one, "Micks musclecars" is my recommendation.
Good luck.

Offline 69CVET

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Big Block
  • Car: 1972 Big Block 4 Speed
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »
I am currently in the process of importing a 73 Out of the US.
It's not easy and requires a lot of patience and you can pick up some nice projects at good prices. 
But it's always a buyer beware.

I insisted on a lot of photos / videos but if you don't inspect it personally you need to put a lot of trust in people. 
Import approval can take up to 3-4 weeks.

See my thread on Corvette General chat with shipping info etc..

Cheers

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:40:19 PM »
AZ
Buying a vette  first thing to do is absorb as much info as you can
There are so many pit falls
First step be sure of what you want .
Then exhaust the options here in Oz
Preference would be a NSW  registered vehicle

A registered car Will save you so many head aches
When you find one have some one with experience look at it of you an get a report on its condition .
Good luck
Bfit 
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline AZ316

• I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 06:17:58 PM »
Thanks for advice and the tips guys.

I'll keep researching and let you know how I get on.

cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
the car should technically need only minor modifications to get ADR compliance (seat belts, lights?) and rego. So why would someone avoid this process.......... obviously something not 100%??

If it's stock you only need to change the headlights.

Yep, to import and not register doesn't sound right.

s

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
Yep, to import and not register doesn't sound right.

Not really.  Everyone brings them in to flip and make a buck, same as the mustangs.  Most of these are cheap cars and will need a few $$$ spent to get them up to roadworthy status.  Generally it involves getting hall the lights, wipers and electrics working, and replacing suspension bushes and tierods etc.  Tyres will be stuffed too, and there will be a few hidden oil leaks to boot.  Rust will likely be in there as well, but it's hard to check the birdcage thoroughly.

If you are good with the spanners and aren't afraid to jump in the deep end, then buy an uncomplied car.  If you aren't as confident, buy a regoed one, even from a different state.  You won't save that much from importing one from the states as the market is saturated with US muscle at the moment.

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
Not really.  Everyone brings them in to flip and make a buck, same as the mustangs.

You're correct some will bring in project cars and perhaps sell them as projects or when they realise they're more trouble than what they're worth to register and give up on them but it sounds like the OP is not after a project.

To flip them, the biggest bucks are made when you sell them registered.

s

Offline AZ316

• I'm new here
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys.

I am looking for a project (if the price is right). I am an ex-mechanic and a hydraulic engineer so the hands on/tech phase is all good.

I suppose my only thought process is if I import one at least I would know what needs to be rectified and the condition of the vehicle? or am I being optimistic :huh:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys.

I am looking for a project (if the price is right). I am an ex-mechanic and a hydraulic engineer so the hands on/tech phase is all good.

I suppose my only thought process is if I import one at least I would know what needs to be rectified and the condition of the vehicle? or am I being optimistic :huh:

If you want a project car
then one that is in the country is the best as you an inspect the car your self and make an informed  decision
you will find a 69 - 72 for reasonable cost if you don't rush into it.
a 72  350  manual  conv.  sold recently for 22K
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »

It'll be no different, interstate or overseas you're going to have to rely on the judgement of the inspector and some out there will tell you what you want to hear just to make the sale.

Tonto's right, it's better to inspect one yourself and see it up close. The difference is there'll be more variety overseas if you're picky about colour choice and configuration but you're still likely to have to wait for the right one at the right price.

s

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Get familiar with the common (frame and birdcage) rust areas and look for poor body repairs.
The mechanical stuff is pretty easy and simple.

Offline AZ316

• I'm new here
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
Thanks guys,

You mentioned common rust issues with the cage. All the articles and threads I have seen so far describe some pretty invasive measures to look at the cage, some of which I doubt a seller would allow.

Any suggestions?

Your right, OS does have a lot more colour and interior options and hence why I would consider it. On the off hand, is it overly expensive to paint a vette a completely different colour? Pardon the ignorance, I haven't painted a car with a fibre glass shell. I would assume it would more costly than a bare metal respray?? Also, how hard is it to come across different coloured original interiors.

Just weighing up cost wise whether it is better to pay for the colour and interior combo up front? My gut feeling would be better to spend the money up front?

Originally, I was looking at a 1976 model but now leaning to a 78', not that popular I know but the storage space does appeal to me and don't mind the back window shape.

cheers

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:01:42 PM »
Rust
http://www.corvettec3.ca/rustpics/index.html

You can buy complete interior kits in any colour

Body preparation requires different techniques to metal, but it's the same amount of work.
A car with original paint and no repairs would be ideal, but pretty rare.

Beware of cars with fresh paint jobs, any horrors underneath, will come out eventually.

Good luck

Offline AZ316

• I'm new here
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 07:22:52 PM »
Thanks for the info and the link Dave

cheers

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
On the off hand, is it overly expensive to paint a vette a completely different colour?

It can be if you're concerned about resale value.

These days a lot of people are preferring to choose cars in their factory colour options and the more popular colours sell quicker/better. A 2nd hand red Ferrari for instance will have a 20k premium on top of any other colour.

If it's a base model you can get away with changing colour and modifications but as the rarity of the model increases you get into 'collector' territory and they tend to be very picky, looking for as much originality as possible.

The cost of painting wouldn't be any different, it's the panel work that can set you back.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
AZ316
I will have a 79 model for sale in a few months
I have just removed the engine   and transmission, and I'm in the process of fitting an LS1 and 4L60E to the car.
when i have  the  the conversion  signed  off by the engineer. I will be selling  the car.
Ive had the car  three  years,  it is registered in NSW .
 If you are sill looking when I have it finished  .
you welcome to come have a look see , it the car is of any interest to you.
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline Scott

• Tri Powered
  • Shed Dweller
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:14 PM »
It can be if you're concerned about resale value.

These days a lot of people are preferring to choose cars in their factory colour options and the more popular colours sell quicker/better. A 2nd hand red Ferrari for instance will have a 20k premium on top of any other colour.

If it's a base model you can get away with changing colour and modifications but as the rarity of the model increases you get into 'collector' territory and they tend to be very picky, looking for as much originality as possible.

The cost of painting wouldn't be any different, it's the panel work that can set you back.

s

On the flip side, if you build the car worrying too much about what other people think and caring about resale value, you will never have the car you wanted, unless you were after a concourse car in the first place.

A few of the cooler cars on here aren't close to stock :)

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
If you build the car worrying too much about what other people think and caring about resale value, you will never have the car you wanted

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the amount of people asking forums for opinions and the first thing they're concerned with is resale.  I guess nobody wants to ruin their cars for the future.

s

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at the amount of people asking forums for opinions and the first thing they're concerned with is resale.  I guess nobody wants to ruin their cars for the future.

s

Resale is an interesting point
There is so many people flipping vettes . Asking  huge prices  hat its hard to get a good handle of a genuine cost of a car when your buying
I have seen cars in the us for sale 2/3/4 k  that steel pop up again a few months later for sale 8/10 k then you will see them here  same vins and now well it 30 k. / 35 k
Time and time again
If you  follow the cars for sale for a few years    You dill see the same trend.
When you by one what ever you pay you will spent double that and more in the next few years

When it comes to a car flipped in the USA
I once read you can polish turd how ever it's still sh_t
Bfit
Winston Churchill