Technical Tips > Importing - Cars & Parts. Also RMS (RTA) Regs

Buying a 1976 C3 in NSW not registered and recently imported

(1/5) > >>

AZ316:
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and looking at either importing a 1976  C3 vette or possible buying one here. I have found a few examples here in oz that have been recently imported but have not been registered.

I suppose that the car is already here is one advantage, the thing that concerns me with this situation is that the car should technically need only minor modifications to get ADR compliance (seat belts, lights?) and rego. So why would someone avoid this process.......... obviously something not 100%??

In this instance what risks would I need to be careful of in relation to getting the car in my name and registered (apart form the probable mechanical issues) Would anyone consider this option if getting the car for the right price??

Or is there less uncertainty if I import one myself? and if so could anyone recommend a good importing company and custom broker.

Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

anychevy:

--- Quote from: AZ316 on August 24, 2014, 09:01:43 AM ---
I suppose that the car is already here is one advantage, the thing that concerns me with this situation is that the car should technically need only minor modifications to get ADR compliance (seat belts, lights?) and rego. So why would someone avoid this process.......... obviously something not 100%??

Or is there less uncertainty if I import one myself? and if so could anyone recommend a good importing company and custom broker.

--- End quote ---

Different states have different requirements for full and club rego, so they leave it up to the buyer.
There are a lot of mid 70s corvettes here for sale, it's a lot easier to fly interstate to inspect one, than import one.
If you wish to import one, "Micks musclecars" is my recommendation.
Good luck.

69CVET:
I am currently in the process of importing a 73 Out of the US.
It's not easy and requires a lot of patience and you can pick up some nice projects at good prices. 
But it's always a buyer beware.

I insisted on a lot of photos / videos but if you don't inspect it personally you need to put a lot of trust in people. 
Import approval can take up to 3-4 weeks.

See my thread on Corvette General chat with shipping info etc..

Cheers

bfit:
AZ
Buying a vette  first thing to do is absorb as much info as you can
There are so many pit falls
First step be sure of what you want .
Then exhaust the options here in Oz
Preference would be a NSW  registered vehicle

A registered car Will save you so many head aches
When you find one have some one with experience look at it of you an get a report on its condition .
Good luck
Bfit 

AZ316:
Thanks for advice and the tips guys.

I'll keep researching and let you know how I get on.

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version