Author Topic: 87 Cruise Control  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 Cruise Control
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:13:53 PM »
My CC was working fine then the car sat for several years, back on the road for five  minutes and it failed on a quick trip to Canb. Immediately suspected the 4 fine wires in the column. Net search says check the Brake switch if it has moved out of contact - the ECM sees an open and thinks the brake is applied and won't  set the cruise on. Brake Switch is set OK. Can't hear solenoids in the Vacuum Servo when Ign on and CC switch moved to on. So all the easy bits are OK now I need extra hands etc and a meter. But I wager those four little " fochas" in the steering column will be at fault.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
Re: 87 Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
Well today I got stuck into it, definitely no relays, take CC/blinker arm and s'wheel/ collumn  part - test wires from switch to the little connector under dash, appears all OK. Oh bugger that means the Cluster which has the CC cct built into it is RS. Went to lunch rather despondent - clusters I imagine are not cheap. Decided to try to get continuity to relays, relays now work but as I move the switch the relays chatter. Bloody hell there is an intermittent Open Cct in the blue wire, this one is the main 12V. The wire is sheathed in a very hard jacket, finally I cut back the cable to where I think the break is, re-terminate - whalaaa everything works - now I  need to test drive, but I'm  stuck - I can't  get the bloody steering lock ring and horn bit pushed down far enough to get the "C" clip back on the shaft.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:08:56 AM »
Lol
You need a tool to push the hub down
Not to hard to mark , you can get fancy about it or just basic
A lenth go 10 mm flat and two 3" cap screws   Drill the flat to go over the sterring shaft
And two holds to fit pushing blots through
Use the shaft to hold flat and push down with blots
All done with care don't break anything .
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Thanks guys - after a few hiccupps, I  found another book with the Spring Compressor described in it and I  could see how it operated - found some flat steel and got a long bolt and nut - and today made one up at work. Amazing how quick and easy it was to get the "C" clip into place. I also rang Ian at Chevparts and he had the "plastic cover" that covers the lock plate and insulates the horn contacts. Tested the Cruise Control down the Hume to Picton Rd - works fine. I'm  amazed I actually cut the steel square, and I  even got the lengths correct - has to be a first time.
Sirfixalot - I live at Cecil Hills if you get any enquiries for said spring compressing tool - I have no problem in loaning it to whoever at your discretion. Just bell me or message me - laterly everything I  touch turns to s$%&, its great to actually get on top of at least one little thing.
🖕 Vettech.