Author Topic: '79 C3 - Outside Air Valve???  (Read 4798 times)

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
'79 C3 - Outside Air Valve???
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:09 AM »
does anyone know how to get access to the actual outside valve assembly buried in under the passengers side guard? I can not see or work out from the assembly manual how to get to it. I have replaced all the vacuum lines up to where it disappears into the inner guard and I cannot get to the other side to replace that last section. I can just reach with my fingers to get the door to move, but my door will not move when operating using the controls. Also any common thing as to why the blower motor will not run so I can get warm air to my screen? last thing to get working for my blue slip.....Appreciate any suggestions.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
Re: '79 C3 - Outside Air Valve???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »
I have a 79 with engine out at the moment
I'm not sure what valve you are looking at is car LHD
More info
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:12:33 PM »
Depends if the conversion was done recently or may years ago, most older converters cut out the valve and pasted over it. If its recent and you can feel it then maybe it was done correctly. The book (LH original) shows it on the right side behind the AC duct assembly, the hose, vac motor, bracket, actuating arm was screwed to the inside RH foot well, once uncrewed the door was removed twisting etc until it came into the foot well. The internal side cover panel which may have carpet  Oh bugger ! that's the side shoud vacuum control - I think you want the Plenem Valve. It should be on the LH side - there is a duct in the way but  it should be secured by 3-4 screws, vac hose should go thru the mounting bracket and loops around to the vac motor. But those scews should release it. Sorry to be vague,  my car was converted way back in ~80 ish. Where it was thru the fire wall now has the steering column. I'd climb under the dash and have a look except the chickens and mice are all asleep.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
I also hsv the dash out as will
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
Have you actually checked the diaphram inside the guard is OK . Put a length of hose onto the small pipe protruding thru fiberglass next to the right angle bracket Move the door backward & forward & you should hear diaphram inhale & exhale . If you block end of pipe the door should stay in that position.Put vacuum on the pipe & flap should move
I assume you have removed the plastic mesh leaf guard.To remove the door there is 2 small hex head screws which go thru the angle bracket which diaphram push rod pushes against. Remove the screws & you should be able to wiggle it out. Test its operation first before removing it. I have seen where the seal around the edge drags causing flap to bind. The outside flap should work in unison with the inside one behind the kick panel one should open when the other one shuts & vice versa

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »
thanks, mine is an original LHD and the valve I am trying to get to is the plenum air intake valve buried somewhere in the RH guard. I have removed the mesh guard and can see where the vacuum line should mount to, but mine has severed due to some corrosion. I can just get my fingers past this and down to the door itself and can move the door easily and it returns to the original position ok. I can see the 2-3 hex bolts holding the bracket in place, but it is fairly corroded and reluctant to move it in case .....well you can guess why not. I want to get to the vacuum line and join it to the new line I brought through from the cabin. I am thinking if I can do that, then my heater and AC vent system should all work as it should originally...I just cant get my fingers around to the vacuum line to get it off and join it up...? open to ideas

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »
What you need then is a wife or child with small hand/arm. Best of luck.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
Sorry to give a bum steer earlier, but somthing good came out of it, when I  realised what I'd  done - I  went looking for more books and found a heap of stuff on 87 cruise control and digital clusters . Which I  have problems with.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
Sounds like a job for some good quality penetrene to remove the screws & flap. I guess if the screw heads break off then you can remove it fix the pipe & replace tthe screws.
The fan probably has had the earth either disconnected under car or put onto starter +. Check the starter large stud under car you should have 2 reds & heavy lead from battery. The earth (Black)is normally under a bolt on bell housing & gets put onto starter when gearbox is R & R .
Remove the - wire at fan & connect from wire to earth with a test lamp or multimeter if it is on starter you will have 12v