Author Topic: 87 Headlights.  (Read 7893 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
87 Headlights.
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »
 Has any one experienced this issue - HL motors run when the Parker's are turned off or the battery is reconnected after resetting the "codes". If the HL's are turned on, then off, all works OK. But if only parkers are on (ie HL's not raised)  when switched off the HL motors run as if they are winding them down. Any help / comments would be appreciated  - thanks. P.S my wife has already suggested a gallon of petrol and a match will fix it.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
Re: 87 Headlights.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
This is going to sound dumb but check your fuses .I couldnt turn my motor off one time but if i turned my electric fans on the motor stoped . Blown fuse ,just worth a try .

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
Is it only one or both motors running looking at wiring diagram it looks like the internal motor cut out contact is made to allow motor to run.Possibly sticking. Maybee unplug each motor individually to see if it is one or both running

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:53:28 AM »
Thanks guys - car is currently down in the warehouse. But I now have some things to try Monday morning.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure the '87 and '88 use the same controller. There are no mechanical limit switches. The circuit uses the increased current of the stalled motor to sense it has reached the limit. The control is solid state so all the inputs need to be right when power is first applied.
The circuit diagram indicates the "down" input comes from the light switch only when in the "off" position (not in "park"). If I read your above problem correctly, your issue is with the motor running when the power is connected with the lights in the mid (parker) position. If this is the case you don't have a problem, just connect the battery in the "off" or "headlight" position. Solid state doesn't like floating inputs.
If I haven't got the problem right, on plug 2 of the controller, check that pin D has a good ground and pin C has 12V in the headlight "off" position and pin A has 12V in the lights "on" position.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
Thank you that makes three things for tomorrow. Much appreciated.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
Yes! - my cct is at work, but after reading your reply  a couple of times I think your close, but now I come to think of it I have not heard the Electric fan come on either. Not that it ever did before - hummm I just love a challenge. No what am I saying - I love a cold Margarita  next to the pool.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
Mmmmmmm......where did that come from?
Coolant fan is easy. Fan should come on with aircon and/or temperature, both controlled by ECM. I think too late 'cause mine doesn't come on until about 105 deg C. I often turn the AC on in heavy traffic to get some airflow before the temp comes up. Temp sensor is common to gauges so if they indicate true you don't need to test the sensor. Of interest my sensor went open circuit and caused car to run super rich. Open circuit indicates coolant temperature around -20C. Your car is now running so this is unlikely.
If you have the HD cooling option (aux fan in front of radiator) it runs completely independently. With ignition on, remove sensor (LH head just below #1 and #3 plugs) and short to ground. Fan should come on. I've had problems with this coming on very late. Took the original switch out and measured switch point as 132 deg C. Schematic lists should be 109. Bought a new one from Ecklers but still didn't activate as early as I'd like. Best option is to replace with local equivalent (3/8 gas fitting) which cuts in at about 95 deg.
Good luck!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »
Just home - but alas I had to do work so no follow up as yet - interesting, mine has full options (extra fans etc) but has a themostat  affixed LH side near radiator. I played with this a couple of weeks ago when it was running like a dog, and the fan did not come on as it has previoulsy. Ummmmmm!......
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »
Remember the old adage - "Oils ain't Oils" well 87's aren't  all 8 sevensss, now I knew the 6 way leather sport seats varied as either "early or late" that is with square or round pins in the plugs/sockets. WELL! The headlights motors got the same cross over of bits between 87 and 88 parts. Appears mine has the 88 set up and whilst my booooks show as per Sirfixalot's reply, it is more along the lines of Sabre's reply. Now in comes the spanner with "Ray" - my fan was not working, so I decided to start here and check - took out the inline fuse and looks OK -but no power - plenty available - the fuse (25Amp AG3 glass type) looked OK but had in fact unsoldered itself from the inside of the end cap. Resolder and OK, fan now runs OK, adjustable thermostat allows for quick testing and accurate setting - Thank you Ray.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 06:51:50 PM »
Sabre - I have an 87 shop manual and the 87 Electrical Diagnostics book -this a good book as the SM has little in it on electrical - now going by one of our replies you must have a cct diag on the 88 - yes / no - you know my next question.
In the meantime I'm  about to Surf for something to download.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
Sabre - I have an 87 shop manual and the 87 Electrical Diagnostics book -this a good book as the SM has little in it on electrical - now going by one of our replies you must have a cct diag on the 88 - yes / no - you know my next question.
In the meantime I'm  about to Surf for something to download.
Only the wiring diagram from the diagnostic manual and some investigation to get my project car up and running. There's a strong hint on the load sensing in the description of the circuit operation. "When the doors are closed, the solid state circuitry senses the motors are not operating and ground is removed". From experience with yank design, this is load sensing.
 If you want a copy of my diagram send a PM with your email address and I'll send a copy. If you need a lend of a working control module I have one you can borrow.

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:18 PM »
Your welcome Vettech the Tec advisors jobs are safe .

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:35:50 PM »
Now where were we? The set up on my 87 is definitely 88. No relays, but a elect module where the relays were, and of course two wires only to each motor. If memory serves I had these apart some (many) years ago to replace Delron gel with new stuff, fuses OK. On the net I see a US forum dated back in 06, and one fellow has my exact problem alas he seemed to get derision from some "tech expert" and he went off in a huff, so I don't  know how he fixed it - so when Sabre is back on his feet and armed with some volt readings we should nut it out.
🖕 Vettech.