Author Topic: 71 Convertible Door Bracing  (Read 7058 times)

Offline joeglia

• I'm new here
71 Convertible Door Bracing
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:09:41 AM »
I just purchased a 71 convertible to restore with my 14 year old son. I know that when I lift the body from the frame, I need to create some bracing across the doors and I even saw some pictures of bracing going to the front of the vette as well.  Does anyone have any pictures, thoughts on the best way to do this?  I do not want to lift the car until I take this necessary step.  Thanks

Offline RHD.68.l89

• Four Barrel
    • www.invisiblecarbras.com.au
Re: 71 Convertible Door Bracing
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
Remove the doors, brace from the top door hinge to the lock post, replace the lock pin with a bolt. the brace will be in tension so something like 35 mm right angle or U channel will be more than adequate. some fabrication at the ends is required.

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »
Similar to this set up.

PS: welcome to the forum. Have you any pictures of the car joeglia?
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline joeglia

• I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
Thank you for the picture.  The previous owner actually had actually placed a similar wire/cable assembly on the door and lock area.  I just did not think that was enough.  I will post a pic of the car and the door brace so you can get a look at the current setup.  Again, thank you.

Offline joeglia

• I'm new here
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
Another question - What is the best place to lift from?  I know that sounds silly but is it best to place a 2x4 piece of wood across the two door braces and hoist from the middle of that piece of wood from the center of the car?  Is that the best location? 

Offline rosco

• Four Barrel
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »
have a look at this, reply 28 has a very common scense approach to the whole deal.
Gives you a idea on what it looks like and by the way no strap between the doors leave them on till you get the thing of.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/3299932-lifting-body-off-for-frame-off.html

Ross