Author Topic: Auto transmission  (Read 5591 times)

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« on: May 30, 2004, 07:40:48 AM »
While the vette was on the hoist i noticed that auto transmission was not level but tilted up at the back, I would like to deepen the pan so that it stays the same at the front but 1" deeper at the back. To do this i need another pan, would the pan off a VN-VP gearbox be the same as the vette pan. Not only would this give me extra oil but the oil level will be below the pan gasket.
Found them, I reckon some RAT hid them.

Offline Brutus

• Fuel Injected
    • http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/brutus
Auto transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 07:57:53 AM »
I think one of the things you might have to consider if the trans you're talking about is a 700R is the fact that the pan actually holds the internal filter in place. From what I've been told when I was buying an after market pan, a deeper one would be unable to keep the filter in place. I don't know this to be fact but I can only go on what I was advised against. Hope this helps.
BOB

THE C3 SHARK TANK - The best, first, and oldest site for owners of 1968 to 1982 Corvettes

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 07:02:59 PM »
That I did not know, I will contact the auto trans place. Thanks. If the pan is deepened a "U" shape bracket could be welded in position to hold the filter up, there would be a way, I will make some enquiries and get back to you, but I am sure I could make this.;26

Offline 87Z51

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 11:01:33 PM »
You apparently need the filter tht goes with the pan.Check for ground clearance as there ain't much room under these cars.

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 08:23:39 AM »
The pan under the C4 of alum and to do what I would like to do I would have to get one from a VN/ VS commodore which is pressed steel. I would not deepen the front of the pan only the back by 30/35 mill. Really I need to see a auto box with the pan off. and work it from there.

Offline david_moore

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 09:57:14 PM »
I like the idea of deepening the pan......ahhhhh.....wot R U doin?....exactly?......:bold

Offline onya

• Four Barrel
Auto transmission
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 09:30:12 PM »
This is how I saw it when the vette was on the hoist, if the vette gearbox was in a Commodore the pan would be level, as in a vette the back of the box is high than the front which means all the oil is on the pan gasket at the front and if you have a bad leak you loose most of the oil. My idea is to get a steel pan off a VN/VS commodore and cut where the pan starts to roll under on both sides and back, force the pan apart about 25 to 30 mill mig weld in a new shaped piece. The only problem is holding up the filter. Before cutting and welding the pan needs to be bolted down to stop warping. :b2:b4:b4:b2;eek;27