Author Topic: New to Corvette  (Read 3096 times)

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
New to Corvette
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
Sorry, I have been trying to find some posts relating to 2 issues I am having.

I have only just got my first rebuild/ restore/ US car. '79 C3. 2 issues, Horns sounding constantly, something not right with horn switch on steering wheel, any pointers please, is there a repair kit you can get? Also idle is very rough. I have vacuum lines disconnected and blocked and one from under the air cleaner that has broken off. It is small diameter and have white plastic joiner snapped off inside. I have searched and searched and cannot find where it goes/ comes from, but seems to have little to no vacuum when you cover with your finger. Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum plumbing or Emissions systems for stock '79 C3 350? Only had the car a week and sorting the obvious stuff first... Appreciate any help  :huh:

Offline 72vet

• Supercharged
CLICK ME to see my albums.

Offline 77CVT

• Fuel Injected
    • www.autobabes.com.au
Re: New to Corvette
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
The horn is grounding out.  Do you have the little spring under the horn button?  Could also be the lower horn ring grounding out the column - http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_info.php?products_id=24018

This may help also - http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HornOperationDiagnosis13JN06.doc

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »
Whereabouts in Sydney are you?
It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:42:47 PM »
thanks for the replies, both have pointed me in the direction I need to go. Looks like I need to get the steering wheel off to see lower section. BTW, on the link for Jim Shea's he talks of a host website to download images of steering columns etc. Does anyone know the host website?

My location is Western Sydney near St Clair.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:04 PM »
Is the horn constant or pulsing on / off -  if on /off then it's the on board factory alarm, remember this was originally switched on the left door. If constant then the steering column - use the web or a Builders Book - I like these as they give great exploded diagrams - well worth the dollars if you are looking for originality and want to be buried in the car.
The next club meet is at the brekky this weekend - I can bring it along it's for 78, but should be relevent for 79.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline stuclark

• Two Barrel
  • '79 C3
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
thanks, it is constant, so pretty sure in the steering column.... my manuals arrived today finally, so now I can start to work on the car... appreciate the pointers.