Author Topic: Brake Booster Help C4  (Read 22536 times)

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
Re: Brake Booster Help C4
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »
My 1987 had a split plastic booster,I used the booster off of an 84 as they were metal
I have been told since that an EL Falcon uses the same booster as the C4with the vacuum hose out of the other size as its an Aussie car

Thanks Ausrs,

I was told to stick to the Corvette stuff, and not try different parts.. so being ____ and super cautious, I'm taking that advice.. but again.. its good stuff, and greatly appreciated.
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
As Sabre says - best check all dimentions as my C4 fire wall is a night mare, the steering collum is too far in towards the front - so god only knows what they have done with brakes. This conversion was done by a well known company in Qld. I know a lot of people rave about them - I would  not p%& on them if they were on fire.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
As Sabre says - best check all dimentions as my C4 fire wall is a night mare, the steering collum is too far in towards the front - so god only knows what they have done with brakes. This conversion was down by a well known company in Qld. I know a lot of people rave about them - I would  not p%& on them if they were on fire.

Hmmm... i think your talking about the previous owners because the new company running that only produce top notch stuff from what I have seen recently in NSW.. Let me say that mine was not converted by them, but by John Bondock who personally owned my car and took a very long time to get it right. 

Tho I have been told,  that the reason why this type of thing generally happens is because the booster is installed with the engine out and then its too late cause its too close to the engine.

Oh well, no conversion is ever 100% perfect..

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Glad my car is still LHD
The 84 booster is a direct replacement for the later model cars that have the plastic booster,do a search on USA forums it is not as uncommon as you would think,where your booster is split at about the 5 o'clock position
my LHD car had it split around the 7 o'clock 
I guess for longevity plastic boosters are not that great an idea however i guess that GM never really intended these cars to still be on the road
As for the EL booster I believe it is a PBR part so it could well be the same as our cars if someone wants to have a walk through a wrecking yard ....that being said its still plastic and personally i never want to have to crawl back up under my dash to undo/redo the bolts to get it out and i even had the column out to fix that gave me even more room to move around

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 07:14:34 PM »
And so it all begins, you I'll be happy to know that you are about to embark on long journey - with NO END!  Sorry I've been to Mittagong twice today and I'm still a bit short tempered.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline coradict72

• Four Barrel
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 08:11:28 PM »
I purchased a genuine 88 booster while in Detroit used for $50us and spent $90 to ship it
its still in the car but the crazy thing is it has Repco Australia tagged on it .. was made here for the bowling green plant.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 08:24:17 PM »
Sorry I've been to Mittagong twice today and I'm still a bit short tempered.

Sorry to hear you met up with Tonto . He has that effect on folks  :banghead:

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »

Yeah, not looking forward to the job at hand, but hey that's what brothers are for right?. , hes the mechanic, in just the pen pusher. .lol.

All aside, its never an easy task when the spaces are tight and its also not factory. Fingers crossed.

Offline gtc

• Supercharged
  • Car: 1970 454 Manual
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 12:07:22 AM »
Sorry to hear you met up with Tonto . He has that effect on folks  :banghead:

Then, I guess you should deal with the Lone Ranger directly.  :laugh:

It's C3 chromie for me, see? Si!

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
Thanks Ausrs,

I actually bought a new metal one from Ebay this morning,  and cancelled my order with Corvette Central as they were out of stock, and pending delivery early June. The one I bought is an official GM restoration part (made in the states by MBM & not repco) for C4's from 1985-91. It cost me $200 all up with shipping from Illinois.

I decided to go with steel, as it wont be affected by heat, and future hardening.

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
I did the same its a one only time to crawl under the dash to remove the bloody thing  :grr: :grr: :grr:

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
Ok, guys, i thought i would let you know where i am with this dilemma... well, this morning we, well I should say my brother commenced the task at hand... Thankfully, because of the near perfect conversion, it literally only took my brother some 45mins to pull out the brake booster...   :omg:

First he had to relocated the water overflow tank located on top, then remove the partial inner guard closest to the booster (which is smaller in diameter) and then move aside the brake master cylinder.... He didn't even have to dismantle the dash, or take out the front seat to get to the pedal side... unfortunately the metal replacement booster was a no go!   :cheers:

Damnn. the push rod is shorter from the front and longer from the rear by 10mm, and not adjustable, well from a general perspective ..... arrrgghhhhh....  so now I'm back to square 2..  :thud: :thud:

It looks like I'm going to have to buy another booster (plastic genuine one), or try to source on from PBR Australia, as they do appear to look similar with .. lets not say it, the ones used in Fords !!!

Here are some pics of this mornings doings... I will keep you informed as things pan out, as this is a good exercise and trouble that I'msure will come up again..

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Maybe some one has said this - but - did you try Ponti World at Albion Park - down Wollongong way.
He was good on prices for an Alternator (Delco Reme ex stock)  and was $11 freight to Syd metro. But I was down there and picked it up. I had not used them before.  They seemed very helpful ...
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
The pics are a great idea, and shows me that I must go around it my eyes shut, mine is an 87, and the O'flow is forward under the RH head light. I suppose I should pay more attention I future.

🖕 Vettech.

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »

Hello Vettech,

Yes, i called everyone even Pontiworld. No one had one of these in stock.  And everyone who i spoke to recommend the metal one. , it was even advertised as the correct one. I then called John Bondock who converted the car. Its the genuine one, so its not that its an error from our end. Hopefully i will have beta luck tomorrow at PBR Brakes.

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:10 PM »
Ok, here is a little more information and an update with the power brake unit..

I found our this morning that the PBR Au Falcon Power Plastic Booster is not interchangeable with the Corvette Booster as the push rods are different in
length.  And there is no similar one made for Aussie cars that will also work... So i was told by checking with various companies from the guys at PBR.

Tho they could sell me one, that would be modified so that the push rods were spot, and identical in length to mine at a price over $500...lol

And that the one that I had purchased in the states, ended up not working . which I'm now selling if anyone has an early C4 and needs a replacement booster.

Im currently looking at trying to purchase an original one if we can source one in the states, or see if anyone can recondition the original booster.

Fun Fun Fun !!!

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 01:16:21 PM »

Ausrs,

these ones are remanufactured and i was advised to stay clear of them. Also the one on the link is actually for 1992-1996 from my research. It is clearly identityable by the rear which doesn't have a boot.

The most important thing to factor in is the pushrod lengths. Im still working on it.

Yes they say are identical but, shi...t happens.

Offline Ausrs

• Four Barrel
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »
I was not suggesting you buy one ,I was only using that as an example of they should all fit each other as it says metal and plastic are interchangeable

What it the difference in length on the rod ? can you take it to a machine shop and get it made into the length you require or even adjustable ?