Author Topic: Should I import a 2002 C5?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Redone

• I'm new here
Should I import a 2002 C5?
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:24:50 AM »
I am looking into the possibility of importing my late father's red C5 from Canada. At the moment it is for sale in Canada, but since it is not yet sold, I am contemplating bringing it to Sydney. I am not sure if the authorities would allow me to import it as I haven't owned it for 12 months, but I will ask. But assuming I was able to, I am wondering if it would be worth it?

I would expect to get $20-24K for it in Canada. With freight costs, taxes, conversion cost and any other costs associated with importing it, would I be able to sell it for enough to cover those costs? And what is the likelihood of finding a buyer? Clearly, I would only go through the hassle if I could make a profit to put into the estate.

I am not a car enthusiast, but hoping to get some good advice from your forum - thanks :)

Offline Miss Independent

• Tri Powered
  • Mood: Girls just wanna have fun
Re: Should I import a 2002 C5?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
IMO No

The cost of importing,conversion,taxes etc leaves no room for profit if thats the only reason for importing.

If you read some of the posts in this section and research on carsales auto trader etc you will see that these cars are not moving here either. C6 or c1 2 0r 3 maybe a different story .
****Don't let someone else dim your light simply because it's shining in their eyes***

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
I agree for sentimental reasons maybe , but not for profit (conversion costs alone would be about $35000 )

Offline Redone

• I'm new here
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »
Thank you for the sensible advice. Luck would have it that I have had an offer on the car in Canada, so perhaps that is a sign to keep it over there. Thanks!