Author Topic: 1964 Roadster For Sale - SOLD  (Read 8294 times)

Offline daz

• I'm new here
1964 Roadster For Sale - SOLD
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
Hi All,

I have my 64 Convertible for sale and I thought I would link to the carsales.com.au ad from here.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Chevrolet-Corvette-1964/SSE-AD-2648543

The ad has a bunch of info in it, but feel free to post questions !

Cheers,

Darren.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
Re: 1964 Roadster For Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
Hard to believe this car is still on the market, reads well  & looks the part  :what:

Jethro

Offline daz

• I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:13:31 AM »
Yes, the car is still for sale but I guess its a pretty limited market. I have had quite a few calls and lookers, offers of trades etc, but only one serious offer (which was quite decent and I was probably just being stubborn and should have accepted it).

I think finding someone that appreciates how original the car is will be a challenge also. I think the interior is really cool because of its age and in surprisingly good condition for 50 years, but most people looking at the car said they would be tempted to restore it... which to me is a shame.

Anyway, now summer is upon us, its certainly not a bad thing to have it in my garage still  :bouncesmile:

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:27 AM »
Awesome looking car, the market has been quite slow lately so hang in there if you can.

GLWS.

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
The market for C2s is  small
Those interested in them have a wide range of desired options.

Theres a good reason the 65/67 cars are more saleable
But they are slow to move as well.
Have said that if you wait eventually you will get your price
The question is how long.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
The market for C2s is  small

Is it because of their price?  I find them more desirable.

Theres a good reason the 65/67 cars are more saleable

True, I was after a C2 coupe a few years back but the 64 was an in-between year. I liked the SWC's of 63 and the disc brake options of the 65-67.

s

Offline daz

• I'm new here
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
It's just a small market, there are so few for sale and many of them are really average cars. Like I said I did get my chance so the buyers do exist. I don't have to sell, but with 7 cars, I feel like I could get by with one less and I have 2 C2 corvettes.

As for the 64 not being desirable, I don't really get it. The brakes are fine, I wouldn't want to race it or do track work with them, but for the kind of driving these cars actually do, there is just no issue. Is there something else about the 64 I am missing ?

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »
As for the 64 not being desirable, I don't really get it. The brakes are fine, ... for the kind of driving these cars actually do, there is just no issue. Is there something else about the 64 I am missing?

You are correct Daz.  Drum brakes are definitely fine for the application.  We just happen to live in a world where we want to have what's better.  If you are given the choice between drum and disc brakes, most people will prefer disc brakes, it's just how it is. Likewise the 65's with drum brakes don't sell as well as the later 65's with disc brakes.

64's are indeed desirable. When you compare them to the other years 63-67 they just happen to be not as desirable of that lot and always sell a bit cheaper.  The 63 has the split window and is a style icon, the other years have higher performance options and high performance is where most of the buyers are.

Personally I prefer C2 coupes but convertible versions of every car are more desirable, as the sales pitch goes; roof goes down, price goes up.

Hang onto it until the right buyer comes along, a good car will always be a good car and I'm sure there are those that cherish the 64's.

s

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
putting aside the corvette question

disc brakes are and invention of the 1890s I find it difficult to understated why  drum brakes were in use in the   20th century never mind the later 20th century.

I'm not and NCIS  person 
ever personal vehicle I have had form the age of 15 has been modified.

For me a top line standard vehicle  is a good starting point
A 64 would make a nice hotrod
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline StephenSLR

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
disc brakes are and invention of the 1890s I find it difficult to understated why drum brakes were in use in the 20th century never mind the later 20th century.

I'm only speculating but I'd say due to manufacturing costs.

Drum brakes have the advantage that they keep dust and dirt out because they are a closed system.  I imagine they were adequate for the cars and driving conditions of the time. I suspect many roads weren't sealed too. When Corvettes, etc. entered the racing world they needed greater stopping power, hence why they were introduced and it's not like there's that much dirt on a bitumen race track.

When the car companies put in the tooling for discs they introduced them to more models as 'options' in order to recoup some of the outlay for the tooling. I'd say eventually due to popular demand they then just became standard.

I'm always baffled that Aus. was so far behind the USA in all the mod. cons.

s

Offline anychevy

• Four Barrel
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Awesome looking car, the market has been quite slow lately so hang in there if you can.

GLWS.

Agreed, someone will appreciate what you have, eventually.

Offline daz

• I'm new here
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:16:02 PM »
Agreed, someone will appreciate what you have, eventually.

Well it happened, car went to a new owner yesterday. Sad to see her go, but she isnt far away and will be seeing a lot more of the road then when I had her !