Author Topic: 87 Runs like a dog.  (Read 14092 times)

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
  • The rocket sled in Steel Blue.
  • Mood: Electrofied.
  • Car: C3 78 + C4 87 + C4 90
Re: 87 Runs like a dog.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 01:32:40 PM »
Have found my Laser Temp Gauge, will try it tomorrow to see if an exhaust manifold is colder than the rest - I really don't want to remove the plugs unnecessarily.

And you are right about draining  the power from the ECM - I bypassed this on the "KISS" principle.

Vettech.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline 69VETTE

• Supercharged
  • When a C3 is not Enough! - Try A C4
  • Mood: Get Jiggy Wit It
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
Caltex rubbish - poo.

Vettech, i don't know about you, but my car was tuned to run on Caltex, as i was told by the previous owner that its the most refined and cleanest fuel... for modified cars...  :drag:

I use only BP in my modified TTs Audi and it runs awesome, similar with the bike.. Unless someone can recall, cause i remember this thread came up some time ago.. i will stick with my Caltex..lol  :drivedevil:

:bolt:
Live life to the fullest...drive a Corvette

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
So let me get this right Caltex is best , but you use BP Mmmmmm

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
I used BP in my mower
It a bit hard to start now
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »
Come on guys, put the thinking caps on and answer this, how many brands of petrol are sold in NSW? Now how many refineries does NSW have - Ummmm. And if you are worried about clean fuel then get a decent fuel filter. I guarantee there is not a servo in NSW with inground full tanks that are not polluted with Water, other types of fuel, sewerage and other contaminants. I know that in the days when we used heating oil in our homes, come winters end it was mixed in with Diesel fuel to get rid of it, and free the tanks/plant for other high turn over product. Diesel was so bad in the Young Hardin area it would stuff up all farm fuel pump seals unless you used the Vitron type seals. God only knows what was in that particular Diesel fuel. :omg:
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
It's pouring outside and I can hardly hear myself over the din on the roof of the warehouse, time to do something else. Start car and run up for 10 mins with occasional rev up. Temps are as follows.
1=140, 3=240, 5=240, 7= 230  then 2=150, 4=250, 6=250 8=140 Ummmm!. Maybe that Gazza was on the right track - obviously 1, 2 & 8 are not firing or getting enough fuel, so I'll try a dose of something in the fuel to clean the injectors. Other scenarios (ie ECM is F#@@ed) I won't contemplate at this time. But just in case do "WE" know someone GOOD who can re-flash the Chip, that's someone we trust - I don't trust my babies most innermost parts to just any one. :banghead:
🖕 Vettech.

Offline sabre

• Tri Powered
  • C4 Rocks but Excalibur Cruises
  • Mood: How good is retirement!
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
Other scenarios (ie ECM is F#@@ed) I won't contemplate at this time. But just in case do "WE" know someone GOOD who can re-flash the Chip, that's someone we trust - I don't trust my babies most innermost parts to just any one. :banghead:
Unlikely to be an ECM causing temp variation as the odd and even cylinders are in parallel on a L98. More likely to be crappy fuel. I made the mistake of putting an ethanol boosted 100 octane in my '88 and blocked 1 & 2 so badly it run super lean and had the exhausts glowing.
On the issue of plugs, I'd carefully pull them out as colour will tell you what's happening. Difficulty with thread is common if you have aluminium heads. Withdraw in part turns then screw back between parts to clear the carbon. They'll have to come out eventually and the longer left the tighter they'll get. Clean the threads well and reinstall with an anti-sieze.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Thanks Sabre.
It would be and to double check I redid the test several times with Batt Disc between tries, just in case there was a moving glitch - results much the same. Last night I remembered a trip Mal organized to  NULON - and wallah! - the goodies bag has a bottle of "Fuel System Cleaner" - this is a product I've never had much time for - so today I'll re-fuel and add the Cleaner. It will be an interesting test and I hope it will still save me removing the Plugs. :bag:

Sorry I'm a bit slow this morning - yes yes of course, "TPI" ~ the Injectors odd , even banks are all energised at once, so gunk or faulty injector is more likely than ECM. Good thinking 99.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
WELL WELL WELL ! - I've now developed a new respect for wonder fixes in a bottle. Filled the tank and went down the Hwy, slowly it got better, stopped back firing, missing, by the time I got Picton Rd it seemed a whole lot better, went off Picton onto Menangle, even stopped at "The Menangle Store"  but his divers weights were too dear now - then came back to Minto. I do believe the problem is fixed. I suppose one should not try to over think small problems. :cheers:

After that run - all cylinders seemed to be around 260 Deg C.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:49 PM »
Quote:"Maybe that Gazza was on the right track"

Wonder fixes in a bottle eh?

From the day that ULP was introduced onto the Australian motorist, there have been problems with gum formation on injectors, and deposits throughout fuel systems and upper cylinder areas. Techron was brought to Australia from Caltex's parent Texaco, on request from BMW and others, who had experienced the problems elsewhere in other markets. It was the first product of it's type released in Oz, and is still added to Caltex Vortex 98 petrol to help keep a clean system to stay that way. After 43 years in the petroleum business, I know the problem is real, and the fix is genuine.

What kind of pie is that you are eating Vettech? LOL.   :zip:
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline MY081

• I'm here. Woo Hoo! :)
  • Fuel Injected
  • Pleb
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 04:33:29 PM »
What a great result, maybe Nulon can use it in there adverts. Does this mean the new name is Nulon-Vettech a marriage made in a vette forum Lol, Hmmm Uncle Doug.

Offline VETTENUT

• Fuel Injected
  • Mood: Absolutely fantastic
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
I'm glad the fix was an easy one for you Doug, and your Vette is back to good health.
Now living the dream in God's country!

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »
Ha! You didn't think the fix was that easy DID YOU? When I started this it also had a rolling miss, so when it looked like several cylinders missing - it seemed to explain the rolling sensation. WRONG. When I got back to work and checked manifold temps there was still a rolling in the idle, but when hood raised it also had a Very Horrible Loud noise. Something on the front of the engine was about to give up the ghost. One of the units was about to destroy a bearing,the run down the Hwy with the occasional squirt was enough to Bing it to a head, it never ends.
🖕 Vettech.

Offline Vettech

• Supercharged
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
Well I got to work and put her out in the sun and opened the hood, was about to start her up and listen, when I noticed the rear cap of the Alt was missing. No need for the Stethoscope now. I could see the hard working little ball bearings - Ummm! seems some of the balls have gone walkies. De-tension the Belt, remove three bolts, remove Alt. This was a replacement Alt back in 18.02.03, and considering the car was off the road for ~5 years not a good add for Enzo's Auto Elect.
So I need a new one, I could rebuild but the outer slip ring has been damaged, and there is no telling how much the end case has been deformed and scoured out.
🖕 Vettech.