Author Topic: 71 rebuild  (Read 313261 times)

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
  • Car: 1969 Corvette Roadster
Re: 71 rebuild
« Reply #660 on: October 17, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »
Hopefully no more shrinkage marks this time round hey BradO

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #661 on: February 28, 2017, 07:26:52 PM »

It's been a long time between posts. I am finally back to where I was 11 months ago, paint is done and I have started to colour sand.
The clear has been flattened with 800 grit and will be going finer grits before buffing.

The tail light backing plates where starting to show there age (47 years), so I had them zinc plated. It's cheaper then replacing them and the quality is possibly better then the repo replacements. I had previously replaced the lenses.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #662 on: February 28, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
way to go with plated bits  at least you know they fit not nearly there like a lot of repro stuff. Can get a hell of a lot of stuff plated for $100

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #663 on: February 28, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
way to go with plated bits  at least you know they fit not nearly there like a lot of repro stuff. Can get a hell of a lot of stuff plated for $100

Your right Geoff. I've wasted a lot of money on repro parts that I didn't end up using. Reconditioning original parts is the way to go.
The shop that did the plating had a $80 minimum charge but I couldn't think of anything else I could have added. Still only worked out to $20 each compared to about $90 each for the repro part landed here.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #664 on: March 04, 2017, 08:38:04 PM »
Looking good!

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #665 on: March 04, 2017, 08:52:34 PM »
The tail light backing plates turned out great Brad.

Will need to keep that in mind.

I agree on reproduction parts. 

Anything u can do to refurb original will end up better.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #666 on: March 04, 2017, 09:26:59 PM »
Looking good!

Thanks, I am slowly getting it back together again!!!

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #667 on: March 04, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »
The tail light backing plates turned out great Brad.

Will need to keep that in mind.

I agree on reproduction parts. 

Anything u can do to refurb original will end up better.

Thanks Craig.

I am working on reconditioning my original door panels at the moment. I previously purchased reproduction panels which didn't fit at all. The door panels I am currently using are new old stock, they fit but I am sure they could be better.
I still have the original panels that came on the car. They are in poor condition so if I stuff them up it will be no great loss. I have removed the trim and using a heat gun removed the vinyl covering. With the vinyl removed the panel is quite flexible so it will now lay flat against the inside of the door (instead of trying to pull away from the bottom). The cardboard backing is a bit soft in places so have I fibreglassed these areas up. I am using West System epoxy for the glassing, I haven't tried it but I think if I used the polyester resin it would desolve the foam padding. I plan on filling any defects and the window crank handle hole in the foam and then covering them with a light fibreglass cloth and epoxy. I have spoken to a motor trimmer about this and was told this should give a good base for them to recover.
I am not sure how these will turn out, at the end of the day they might end up in the bin!!!

I am also working on the hood. It's a hand laid ACI hood with the rough fibreglass texture on the underside. I have started to remove the paint and sand the surface. I will then use Vette panel adhesive as a filler to smooth it out.
Should look a lot better once it's painted satin black and new insulation on the back half of the hood covering the engine.

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #668 on: March 05, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
When you look up the meaning of PERFECTION on Wikipedia it has a picture of Brad under it :)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #669 on: March 05, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »
When you look up the meaning of PERFECTION on Wikipedia it has a picture of Brad under it :)

It's still far from perfect Jethro. I am pleased with the way the rear quarter panels came out though  :cheers:

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #670 on: March 29, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
I have finally finished colour sanding. I sanded to 2000 using paper and then went to 3000 grit trizact discs. I then finished off with 6000 trizact discs.
It's the first time I have used these discs and I am very impressed with the quality of the finish. The picture of the fender below is with it sanded to 6000 grit.
It still needs compounding and polishing but this should be quite easy now.

I have been looking around for a reasonable priced jacking beam for my hoist. I couldn't find one in Australia but found a few in the States. They where Chinese made (same as my hoist), so I decided just to buy direct from China. Worked out quite a bit cheaper and only took just over two weeks to ship from China to Fremantle. My hoist came with a jack tray for use with a bottle jack but the jack beam is a lot more versatile.

Offline craigh

• Four Barrel
« Reply #671 on: March 30, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
Good tips on sanding choices

The paint has flattened out beautifully to a great shine Brad.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #672 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:25 AM »
Wow, impressed with the finish from the 6000 grit, can't wait to see it polished.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #673 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
Good tips on sanding choices

The paint has flattened out beautifully to a great shine Brad.

Thanks Craig.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #674 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Wow, impressed with the finish from the 6000 grit, can't wait to see it polished.

Thanks, it's very easy to compound out 6000 scratches. The 3M compound I am using says it will take out 1200 but I think that's pushing it. It's a chore just to do 1500 grit.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #675 on: May 25, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »
I have finally finished colour sanding and in the process of putting it back together again. I am in no hurry as its winter.

I had some more powder coating done. Previously I bead blasted and painted these parts but powder coating looks a lot better.

I also had my headers done in satin black ceramic. there was a bit too much bling with the metallic ceramic. The side pipes are stainless so I will see how it looks when its back together, I might change these to black as well.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #676 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
Looking great!

Offline Jethro

• Camo's nemesis
  • Supercharged
  • The Lone Ranger
« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »

Black is the new Chrome Brad  :)

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »
Black is the new Chrome Brad  :)

Your right Jethro. I like the look of the black headers but I am still not sure how it will go with the stainless side pipes, will find out next week when I get home.

I am quite pleased with the way the rear quarters came out compared to my first effort.

Offline wabco40

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »