Author Topic: Right to Left Conversion #2  (Read 46489 times)

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
Re: Right to Left Conversion #2
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 12:05:06 AM »
I found it easier to make the bit than draw it .
How do we get it to you
You will need to get this in the correct place ,
Does your chassis still have the original engine mounts
Bfit

Yes chassis is still original engine mounts with just a block/bracket to bolt the Toyota box too in the area where this bracket should be. The problem is that it is welded further back than where this bracket needs to be. Am going to use a Borgasen box but I have dummy fitted an old steering box that I got from sirfixalot, bolted a drag link in with an idler arm on so I can get the correct measurements to weld this bracket on. I'll give you a ring during the day tomorrow and talk to you about picking it up.
Your one looks nicer than the one I made. Only had some checker plate around and I think it was to thick so it didn't bend nice like yours :grin:

I noticed you have a Borgasen box fitted to your car, question is when I trial fitted the Borgasen box to my car, I noticed that the tie rod on the pitman arm side had moved very close to the bottom control arm, too close if you ask me. When I bolted the original box on, it had more clearance. Did you have any issues with your box install? The car is sitting on the front wheels on ramps and the back of the car is on stands with no motor in it yet.
Losers always try their best. Winners get the girl.

Offline bfit

• Don't talk of dust and roses
  • Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
  • Mood: Honey reinforced
  • Car: Yes
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 01:10:32 PM »
I have  read that some cars do have problem with clearance.
I think its a problem with the variations in production tolerances .
I  would first check the diagonals across the chassis to make sure its all square,
I think you should have at least 10mm clearance, I have see people take the grease nipple out and fit a plug to get more clearance
just refit a nipple each service to grease.
bfit

I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
  • Committee Member & Tech Adviser C3-C4
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
Don't you have to use the non power steer pitman arm with the borgenson box? From memory Willcox Corvette have a pic of the difference. Non power steer cars use the rear holes in steering arms.Power use the front holes

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Don't you have to use the non power steer pitman arm with the borgenson box? From memory Willcox Corvette have a pic of the difference. Non power steer cars use the rear holes in steering arms.Power use the front holes
[/quote]
I would hazard a guess that the 2 arms have the same throw and the diffrence between the 2 the bend/height.I am using a non steer drag link with the pitman arm you gave me. After looking on their site all is as they suggest from a parts point of view. On some of the forums some guys have complained of their tie rods even hitting. I have noticed though that everyone that has this issue has the engine out. All the others that have done the swap with the engine in don't seem to have a problem. I wouldn't have thought there was that much flex in the chassis!🤐

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
I think the pitman arms are different, only for the purpose of clearance on the hydraulic cylinder.
in toe power steering equipped  models.
Bfit
I have seen too many instances where people continue to pursue wrong courses of action because they do not take the time to think critically about what has happened in the past.’’
Winston Churchill

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
Anyone know the trick to getting this plate out of the bottom of the steering housing? Kind off got me a bit stumped. I know theres a trick to it just can't figure it out. :lol:

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
I have a PDF on the column .
Some where , I'll look for it
Bfit
Winston Churchill

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
Yeh, I printed them out when I did mine - do a google for Jim Shea's papers on the steering column.

Offline metalhead

• Four Barrel
  • Black is best...
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »

Offline bfit

• Global Moderator
  • Supercharged
  • Two one thousands
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2017, 07:27:30 PM »
Winston Churchill

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2017, 09:14:59 PM »
Is the tube at top broken from  metal fatigue ? or are you just trying to  get the ring out

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2017, 09:17:48 PM »
Looks to me you just slide it up at about 2 o clock. before removing put  some texta  on top side  for  re- assembly

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
Looks to me you just slide it up at about 2 o clock. before removing put  some texta  on top side  for  re- assembly
There is a bit of a trick to getting it out. A small twist and a lift and it should fall out. Just can't seem to get it out. Even found a video on youtube, just wont come out.
Have to change the bottom tube on the column due to the tube being compressed for the right hand conversion. The shaft is ok just the tube. Have the rest of the column apart.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Never had a problem getting the ring out, perhaps it is bent in slightly

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
So I decided to put my steering column back together and after realising that the shift tube that I got was slightly collapsed I thought no problem Ill deal with that. So i exteded it back to where it needs to be and it seems tight enough but when I started to put it together I noticed my nicely painted steering tube is modified/cut up. Can't believe I didnt pick up on it.
Question is for those that know, how detrimental are the extra ears/extension. Do they stop the lock plate from moving up and down and allow the lock tube to move smoothly?  Or do I go out and find another tube?
What a pain in the backside :banghead:

O

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »
The tags hold the screw plate in that you screw the tilt knuckle too the column will pull apart when assembled you can remove the bottom tube from the top tube by screwing it out lubricate well prior to doing it. The part that is missing on top of tube is what normally breaks off from metal fatigue if you lean on column getting in & out of car. I have  had them tig welded back together with no problem

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
I thought they were pressed together with a plastic sleeve and ball bearings as an interference fit between both tubes; at least that's how my original tube was. I did a bit of a practice run on my old one first.
Need to measure the length and orientation of the second tube so it goes in correctly. I'm a little confused now when you say screwing it out/in.

Offline sirfixalot

• Fuel Injected
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2017, 10:14:47 PM »
Has  like  a coarse thread in plastic piece inside tube the balls run in as it turns in can't rememeber exactly how it goes now but I had to replace lower tube on my 79 which had been shortened for RHD conversion

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
All done. :pepper: Ran some masking tape around the bottom tube and marked certain spots and measured how deep it was in the tube then pushed it out on a press; came out easy enough. I then transfered it to the other tube and put it back in. Practiced on the old tube first. If the steering column was worn or crook I would just go and get another one but it was good no slop, tilt nice and tight and for what they charge; well I had to have a go at fixing it. Always freak myself out before I do a job that i haven't done or seen done before :grin: now no problem do a tilt steering column with my eyes closed. Now I got to paint the bloody thing again.

Offline 70vette

• Four Barrel
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2017, 03:22:19 PM »

Hi all. Haven't been on for a while, busy with work, family and kids with broken arms :omg:
Got around to getting the engine bay painted the other day.